PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a ferret they dont want?

provert123
05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
i want one but cant afford to much. so if you want to get rid of one for cheap please mail me back.

Barry
05-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Have you tried your local s.p.c.a.? You can adopt them there for a small fee.

reptileking
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I am pretty sure that shipping alone for a mammal will cost more than just going with a petstore/breeder that charges $100-$150 for the ferret. Dont forget that ferrets need vaccines just like your dog and cat. If you dont get it atleast a rabies vaccine, if it were too bite someone, then the animal will have to be killed for a rabies test. The last I checked, they dont allow quarantining for exotic mammals. So you will have to consider another $100+ in just vet bills every year.

provert123
05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
thank you for the tips i really do appreciate them. now you have me thinking twice about it all

reptileking
05-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Have you considered a chinchilla? THey are pretty cool, dont require vaccines, and can become very tame. Plus they dont smell! lol

chelvis
05-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I love chinchillas!!! I miss my two boys, and yes you can keep males togeather if they are raised togeather. They can smell but its less then how bad hamsters or mice smell. Also you dont have to worry about spaying or nuturing chinchillas like you have to with ferrets. Although breeding them is tricky and most people end up killing their females... I think i've gone alittle over board so i'll stop there.

I still love chinchillas tho....

CRG
05-19-2007, 07:23 PM
I have three, OMG what a pain they are.And I should tell you that ferrets and reptiles DONT mix well.I had to trade off a very nice 6ft boa cause the smell of ferret drove her nuts.Of course I could have gotten rid of the ferrets but I have kids involved that would never have forgiven me.

Where do you live I might be able to set you up with a ferret, I was recently offered two more.When people find out you have ferrets they all want to give you thiers too and you can end up with dozens.

Grimlock
05-20-2007, 01:38 AM
ferrets really are a pain, they are adorable and a lot of fun, but they are indeed a pain in the @ss, and expensive you have to be very dedicated. i used to have three, i loved them, they were fun but they were so high maintenance i can't say i miss them now. mine only lived to 5 due to being pet store ferrets, which usually come from breeding mills that produce various animals for labratory use. they develeoped a bunch of health problems at once at around 4 yrs.

CRG
05-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Mine are from 3 different breeders.I have one Marshalls,one Path Valley and on Canadian ferret(a rescue).I have already acrued vet bills from the Marshalls ferret(but he is my sweetie).The food is expensive and the poo is unending.
When these guys go, I dont intend to ever have ferrets again.I do love the ones I got though, actually its kind of a love/hate thing..I hate it when they chew up my shoe inserts/get in the garbage/ poop in the corner/bite the dog/steal stuff and stash it somewhere/get on the table and dig out all the dirt in my plants.But I love when they give me kisses and play and romp and be generally cute.

Grimlock
05-22-2007, 03:41 AM
lol hearing about ferret antics is funny now, but the problems i had with mine weren't so funny at the time. i had this ridiculous setup at each doorway of plastic carpet protector, duct taped down, because the little buggers were OBSESSED with trying to dig their way under any door they could find. and they weren't satisfied with just scratching on the plastic protector, they had to hit carpet, and would rip up the duct tape to get under the protector.

pushing the litter box away, and then pooping on the floor was another one of their charming habits. my girl would spend as much time as she could lying on her back in the kitchen, trying with all her might to pry cupboard doors open, which were locked shut. basically anything that they were denied entry to became a target. after owning ferrets you find it a bit absurd that cats are described as curious, they seem completely apathetic compared to ferrets.

i think mine were 'Canadian Ferrets', from a place in manitoba