PDA

View Full Version : Superworm beetle

wingnut
05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
This might be a silly question, but...:roll:

I just caught a recently morphed Superworm beetle crawling in my office. I assume that a worm escaped my Beardie's food dish, hid under a rock, and than escaped the enclosure after it transformed (the enclosure is not insect-tight right now). My question is what to do with it? For the time being I just put it in my Superworm enclosure since it should have the right food, bedding, etc. I do want to breed these things, but I haven't had time to get started yet.

I do have a couple others in pupae stage, but they are days/weeks from being beetles. What kind of set-up do I need for the beetles? Will this one live long enough for the others to 'catch-up? How many beetles do I need to start breeding? Is there a visual way to tell a male from a female? I have read some on the guides online, but they seem to be much larger scale than I need (like pupating 1,000 worms at a time). I only need to feed 1 beardie and 1 baby tegu (after he hatches in July) so I don't need (or want) to have a colony of 1,000,000 worms 8O.

Thanks

ApriliaRufo
10-22-2007, 03:57 AM
Hey bro. Hit up www.wormman.com and check out the breeding kit. It's cheap, it works, and all you need is a 15g tank, the rest is in the kit. It's like 25-30 bucks delivered.

wingnut
10-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey bro. Hit up www.wormman.com and check out the breeding kit. It's cheap, it works, and all you need is a 15g tank, the rest is in the kit. It's like 25-30 bucks delivered.

Thanks, I posted that back in May, since then I have gotten started. No worms yet but several beetles. With any luck I will have some worms in a couple of weeks.

ApriliaRufo
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Lol. My bad. If you do it right they get the breeding and growing pretty quick. My tegu LOVES superworms but they are not as nutritious as mice so be careful not to overdo it. Apollo will dodge the FT mice's tails trying to grab out the worms from the bowl so I'm guessing they are like ice cream, they taste great but they don't do much for them. oh btw they don't taste that great but if you dry em and bake em lightly with jalapeno they taste pretty good. Bugs are abundant people! Eat them!

spencer
10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
wow jalapeno super worms ? 8O i think ill pass on that one and let my gu decide how he prefers his worms 8)

wingnut
10-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Lol. My bad. If you do it right they get the breeding and growing pretty quick. My tegu LOVES superworms but they are not as nutritious as mice so be careful not to overdo it. Apollo will dodge the FT mice's tails trying to grab out the worms from the bowl so I'm guessing they are like ice cream, they taste great but they don't do much for them. oh btw they don't taste that great but if you dry em and bake em lightly with jalapeno they taste pretty good. Bugs are abundant people! Eat them!

One of my guys love supers, the other doesn't want anything to do with them. I mainly use them to feed my beardie and box turtles, the tegus have gotten big enough that all they want is bigger prey.

As far as me eating them, I will try just about anything once and I have eaten insects before, but I doubt I will go to the trouble of baking them (unless my breeding program really takes off :lol: )