PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tegu with no toes?

GreenButterfly
05-31-2007, 07:57 PM
My neighbor was looking for a new home for a Tegu. I've never owned a reptile and notice that he has no toes in the front. He also has only 3 claws/nails on his back feet. I know that he wasn't taken care of very well which was one reason I took him in. His only problem is that he can't climb up and when he tries he falls. Makes me feel bad for him.
I've had him for 3-4 weeks. I've had a big cage built for him. I feed him every day and change his water and clean his cage every day too.
I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before and should I be concerned?

eradi
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Your tegu will be slightly challenged but it will get by just fine.
I am glad you looked beyond it's problems - you will be rewarded with
the best lizard possible as a pet! :)
Unfortunately, missing toes are somewhat common with tegus and monitors. It is a sign of neglect and dehydration. Be sure to do your new pet a favor and seal up or cover the top if it is a screen top. You don't want air tight, but you need to hold in the humidity which should be between 50% and 75%. You can achieve this by misting or spraying in the enclosure 2 times a day. I will say it is hard to get 75% (here in WI anyways) but 50% should be attainable. Be sure to use a good moisture holding substrate like cypress mulch. The more mulch the better for holding humidity and moisture. Use at least enough so it is 3" to 4" deep. tegus love to burrow in it as well. Soaking in the tub also helps keep them hydrated along with fresh daily water.
Good luck and post some pix! :)
E

GreenButterfly
06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
<center>
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r129/mrssumaliia78/IMG_0016-1.jpg

</center>
This is my Tegu hanging out on my bed.

AmeivaBoy
06-01-2007, 04:10 AM
nice lil colombian, glad you found your way to this site greenbutterfly : )

GreenButterfly
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks. He's a cool little guy. Thanks too for telling me about this site. I'm trying to get as much information as I can because these animals are new to me. My husband had an iguana when he was a teenager so he knows some about reptiles but not the tegu. I'm a big animal lover. I also have a cat, a jack russell and a hermit crab.