PDA

View Full Version : Tegu's growl??

theblueplatypus
06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Dozer doesn't like the misting process. i didn't notice it before but for the past couple of days when I mist the tank, and when she hisses at me, i've heard a clicking noise; sounds like as if a person had a cold and mucous stuck in the back of their throat while they are trying to breathe. The same sound I've heard her make while eating soft boiled eggs. Today when i misted the tank it sounded like she was growling at me! Do tegu's growl? or Does this sound like a respritory problem? how can I check for this without needing to bring her to the vet? Any way without even needing to intrude her space? I don't know anyone here but my boyfriend to help me with things like this.
Please let me know all your opinions.

trunx
06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
my tegu makes that gulping hissing kinda wheezing sound when im invading his space and he's being defensive. the noise comes just before he tailwhips me and crosses his viv in a single bound! :)

Johelian
06-14-2007, 09:31 PM
My first tegu had a respiratory infection when I got him - it sounded a lot like rasping or rattling, rather than the "drier" huffing sound of a normal angry tegu, which just sounds like someone breathing really heavily. I would personally have it checked out, particularly if you notice that he is breathing hard even when at rest or has any mucous coming out of his nose or mouth.

theblueplatypus
06-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Well there is no mucous and that makes me happy, but it sounds like she's choking when she hisses and that makes me sad.
The only time i've noticed her breathing heavy while at rest is just after she finished eating. She has been sleeping a lot lately and i've been having to wake her up to feed her, which is unusual she normally comes out and lets me know she is hungry.
I did however find something that looks like mucous along with a poop and some urate. It looks almost like...I don't know like what chicken skin looks like after you boil it and then pull it off the meat. In the past few days she's eaten some meal worms, soft boiled eggs, and a single grape. It is green in color and slimy and the slime is on the poop as well. I thought that it could be from the grape but she only ate that yesterday and it looks too thick and large to be it.
I'm going to save it for a stool sample, however my closest herp vet is 6 hours away. I'm calling around to all the vets in town to see if any can do the tests and maybe even have a little bit of experience.
This may sound like a funny question but how should i keep it in the meantime? I know it should be in an airtight bag, but maybe in the fridge for freshness? (haha) I'm afraid that it may be a couple of days before i can do anything.