PDA

View Full Version : New argentine b/w tegu

Diego
06-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this type of thing, my name is Paul and I am from England.
My tegu is 6 months old and he has just today started to climb up my hand/glove. I am not sure how long to leave it until I handle him properly as he is still wary?
I am trying to do it right but I am not sure if I am doing it too slowly and need to try to get him out yet.

fastbaz
06-24-2007, 07:33 AM
HI PAUL NICE TO MEET YOU. I AM FROM ENGLAND AS WELL NEAR BIRMINGHAM.. HOW LONG YOU HAD YOUR BABY HAD OURS FOR ABOUT 5 WEEKS NOW AND HE/SHE HAS JUST STARTED TO CLIMB OUT OF THE VIV ON HIS/HER OWN WILL LET ME PICK UP BUT STILL A BIT WRIGGLY BUT WHAT THE HELL HE/SHE IS STILL GETTINMG USED TO SMELLS NOISE ETC... SEE YOU AROUND THE FORUM ITS A VERY INTERESTING PLACE AND HAS HELPED ME A LOT SO FAR..

Diego
06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Fastbaz, thanks for your reply - I have had diego for 2 weeks, he was a present for fathers day from my wife and he has just started to climb up my arm the last couple of days. He has a healthy appetite as they all have and is an ace new addition to the family along with our 2 beardies, 3 parrots, a budgie, 7 rabbits,a dog and 2 oscellated uromastyx. This is down to my wife working in a pet shop and bringing her work home with her - I just wish she worked in a bank!
Do you have any other pets?

vetherantis
07-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Heya,
Im in England too. we have a b/w tegu "thor". I was very weary of having such a big lizard around but I can handle him fine now.
When i open the viv, he hisses and rears up, but i let him smell me and I stoke him and talk softly and I can pick him up fine after that.
And i always talk to him while i stroke the back of his neck and so now when i do it he closes his eyes and puts his head in the air, I swear if he could purr he would. :)

S
xx

Johelian
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Hey, plenty of English types! :D Im from Surrey in the South, hello to you all!

Vetherantis, your approach is the same that I have used for all of my tegus. My oldest, Teg, doesnt huff at all or anything anymore, but I used to just let him smell me when I first got him and he has never given me any trouble...well, other than attacking feet from time to time! My juvenile Orin is still, ornery and will huff when you put your hand into the cage - but considering that he used to make his escape into the furthest reaches of the cage when I got him, he has mellowed well. My newest, baby Java, will huff when you come close but will let you touch him - he has come very far in a month!

txrepgirl
10-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Hi welcome.Sorry,to brake the chain.I'm not from England.I'm from San Antonio Texas.Congrats on your new Tegu :lol: .We had our Tegu for three weeks now and he was about three weeks to a month old when we bought him.I know people say to give them time but I couldn't wait.I held him the first day for about 10 minutes and when I rubbed him on his head he fell asleep.Now he is so tame that he walks around the house with me on my shoulder.Some times when I put him back in his tank he jumps around until I take him back out and give him some loveing :lol: .I think the more they see,smell,feel you and hear you talk to them the more tame they get.It worked with mine.Good luck.Can't wait to see what your wife brings home next :lol: .I would be the same way if i work in a pet store.