PDA

View Full Version : Refusing Food - How Long Before I Should REALLY Worry?

Wormwood
06-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Another question already, I know. I'm calling this 'extreme caution' as opposed to the paranoia of a jittery first time arg owner.

I bought my first arg b&w this last Sunday, and he hasn't eaten anything since I brought him home.
A bit of background: He's only about fourteen or fifteen centimeters snout to vent, (and unsexed, I should mention; I'm just calling it 'he' for the time being) and he's currently in a tank that's 1.5 meters long by .75 meters wide. I've got him on coconut bark, and the temp range is 108 at his basking rock, and 80 at the end farthest from the heat light. I've also got a 'repti-glo' uvb at the non-basking end.

I've offered him; thawed fuzzy mice, crickets, butter worms, small pieces of turkey, as well as strawberries and blueberries... although I heard that early in life args aren't likely to evidence any interest in fruits or veggies.

He seems interested in the food at first, and will come up to sniff or nudge it, but then he wanders away again.
He's otherwise active (he's dug the whole tank up from one end to the other) so I'm not sure what else I can do.

When should I REALLY start to worry (ie. drag him to a vet)? Could this just be a result of the stress of a new environment?

138Shane
06-29-2007, 08:43 PM
I have the same problem eccept mine hasnt eatin for like 2 months. I was told you dont need to worry until you notice it getting skinny or unless it is already skinny. You might want to try the vet. I got syringe feeding for mine from the vet.

DaveDragon
06-30-2007, 01:06 AM
We fed our 12" baby stage 1 meat baby foods and Activia yogurt with a syringe for 2 weeks before we found the only thing he will eat on his own are thawed fuzzy mice. So I've been slitting them open and stuffing them with Tegu bites and dusting with Nekron.