PDA

View Full Version : Confused mama

theblueplatypus
08-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I've been breeding my own mice for a little while now this is probably my third litter. All the mice we empregnated before were full grown and had no problems when the litter came. However this little mouse got pregnant by accident. She was still growing and actually bred with her brother. She was in the "litter tank" that we have, meaning that she was with three other of her sisters in there when she had her babies, we were not expecting them for another week or so. They were scattered all over the tank. we carefully moved them into her own enclosure and put her in with them and she looks like she's terrified. She's avoiding them and huddling on the other side of the house. Is it possible that she has no idea what to do with them?? If so what do we do with them?? If we put her back with her sisters would they be able to help or would they just kill the babies? we've already found one half eaten.

Epona142
08-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Unfortionally with mice, its highly unlikely you can place the mom and babies back with other females. The pinks will likely end up eaten. I would personally cover her with a towel to give her a dark, safer home, and hope for the best. If she begins to eat them, I'd pop them in the freezer to salvage what's left. Check for milk bands (visible white in their tummy) that will show if they've been nursing.

Hopefully all goes well, if not, well that's mice for ya.

theblueplatypus
08-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Since we separated them she's seemed to have calmed down and taken a little bit more responsibility for her offspring. I can see the bands, thanks for the tip. I will cover her cage too because she freaks out every time a shadow floats her way.

Epona142
08-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Glad she's doing better! Here's hoping she raises all her babies and does well.