PDA

View Full Version : Do you see sick reptiles in your local pet shops?

varnyard
07-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Do you see sick reptiles in your local pet shops? I have four pet shops here, and all of them have sick reptiles.

Rick
07-06-2005, 08:07 AM
You forgot 'never'.

If I enter a petshop and they have ill looking reptiles I will inform them. If they remedy the issue I will continue to buy from that shop. If they do nothing then I never return.

I do like a local petshop in Skowhegan, Maine. It's called Family Pet Connection. They are the only pet shop in my area with an actual room for reptiles. It's been kinda slow there recently, but when they are moving lots of reptiles I love to stop in daily to check out the new herps they have.

Rick

James_James
07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Yes, I have seen some pretty pathetic looking lizards being sold, here in New Hampshire. A lot of these pet shops, simply don't care of the health of the reptiles, their just in it to make a buck. :( They probably figure the average person can't tell the difference.

ElliotJasChief
07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm lucky enough to have a couple pet stores in AZ that take their reptiles very seriously. Pets INC in tempe here has an awesome reptile dept. with a knowledgable staff that takes awesome care of thier animals (I just bought my two blue tegus from them). There is also AZ reptile center in mesa, and obviously they specialize in herps.

Of course there are some places that don't take care of thier animals. Unfortunately one of the bad ones is also the best aquarium store in PHX, so I have to keep buying fish stuff from them in spite of the condition of thier reptiles....sigh. :(

Brisamen
07-07-2005, 10:47 AM
I know one herp shop here in Uden...man what a desaster...You come in and you would want to go outside again to catch your breath cause man thats one smelly mess..
Then the enclosures: moldy smelly to darn many animals in one, death ones laying about in the death food and they havent cleaned out the poop in...months maybe..
But the hardest part for me to swallow is that when theres a reptile show they will be there nice and clean, their ppl all in the same shirt looking like they have got it made....
I make it a point NEVER to buy anything from them!

Tara_Richelle
07-26-2005, 02:51 AM
Theres is a Pet Station U.S.A.. and the guy there was trying to sell me a tegu with a large absess on its tail. It was scrawny and sickly looking, i felt horrible for the poor thing.

Shan
07-27-2005, 10:42 AM
I saw a horrible thing happen at a pet store out here in Ca. They are clean and seemed to care for the animals there. It is a little hole in the wall. A woman came in while I was buying some feeders for my sons corn snake. She wanted to see a little water dragon it was the cute tiny guy. They got it out of the enclosure and gave it to her, well she dropped it and stepped on it accidently. The owner got very upset picked it up and threw it into the big water monitors cage and he hit it on the wall a couple times and ate it. I left! I have never gone back. I can't believe she did that to the poor baby. Couldn't it have been saved even if it had broken legs? She replied that it was worth nothing and she wouldn't get enough for it to cover the vet bills. Horrible!!!!!

ElliotJasChief
07-27-2005, 09:55 PM
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

nogard
07-28-2005, 03:35 AM
There is also a good pet store in mesa called predators reptile center, on gilbert and university, But there is a pet store in Apache Junction, AZ called paramount pets which is terrible, When I was breeding albino burms they would buy lots of 20 from me, I just went there a month or so again, and they had a water monitor in a deli cup, for 6 days, when I asked why isnt this water monitor in any water they said it was in quarantine. HA HA It is disgusting what some people do to reptiles when they dont care about them at all and For the person living in Phoenix, your talking about the OCEAN FLOOR arent you, the people with the paraguayan tegu for $400 and the false forest monitor, AKA a colombian tegu for $250
thanks
tony butler

ElliotJasChief
07-28-2005, 08:22 AM
hey tony I know you from kingsnake -

my SN is cenecker there.

Anyway - funny you should mention that, I stopped by Predators today for the first time.

I was much less than impressed. :(

Its an ugly dark little dingy shop and it STINKS in there. Everything is being kept in ten gallon aquariums on shelves, theres a bunch of snakes stuffed like fifty deep into a little tupperware containers. Sick. The only large cages they have in there are horse troughs...I don't know...I just felt like I needed a shower after being in that place. It's just freaking DIRTY and a woefully unproffesional atmosphere.

NOTHING has UV lights.

And what REALLY gets my goat - He has a SNOW TEGU, I mean the real thing, the holy grail of tegu keeping. Its in BAD shape - its tail is all kinked up. I was talking with the owner and he picked it up and it just kinda sat there. Now this is a very young tegu so I doubt it just that calm, its probably SICK. Oh yeah - and its being kept with a MUCH LARGER SAVANNAH MONITOR. If you read through my posts you'll probably notice I'm kinda lenient in my opinions about co-habitating reptiles. But still, I think I'd be a LITTLE more careful with a $2000 animal.

Oh yeah and my big blue tegu was with me and the owner offered to buy him for 150$, I polietly declined. :D

ElliotJasChief
07-28-2005, 08:27 AM
the OCEAN FLOOR arent you, the people with the paraguayan tegu for $400 and the false forest monitor, AKA a colombian tegu for $250

Yeah - the dude offered to sell me that "paraguayan tegu" AKA its a fairly unremarkable blue tegu for $200, I have a feeling it's been there a while :D .

Yeah Ocean Floors reptile dept. is pretty nasty, all the cages have a layer of feces in them and none of them have fresh water...I feel bad everytime I buy fish or aquarium supplies from them. *sigh* if only they could apply the kind of quality and ethics that they're fish areas have to thier herps.

Oh yeah - did they have those two HUGE and really miserable looking iguanas stuffed in that little cage in the corner last time you were there? :roll:

nogard
07-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Yeah in the cage right when you walk in, they also had a spur thigh tortoise, with a hole that had been drilled into its shell, The lady said it was the owners friends, and it stopped it from getting away when chained in the yard. I went to Pets INC earlier today they had colombian tegus being sold as Arg tegus, I told the manager and he said he was sorry and that it was a mistake, He fixed the label and dropped the price down to $40.I wish that they were args at only $40 bucks a piece. But I dont mind paying extra for the security of knowing that my tegus are healthy and captive bred,
thanks
tony butler

Astigma
07-28-2005, 11:16 PM
I worked at scamps pet store it was horable i was ther only one that would feed the herps and spiders every one else was afaid and the set up was pathetic the need to shut those stores down