PDA

View Full Version : Can Uromastyx be housed w/ any other reptiles?

shawnathon
07-12-2005, 07:30 PM
I am very interested in getting a uromastyx. And will probably get one when the herp show comes to san diego.

I know they are territorial, but has anyone heard of housing any other reptiles w/ a uromastyx?

-Shawn

Rick
07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Most people in the herp community will tell you housing any two reptiles together is bad, but I have not personally had any experiance with uros and other herps.

Rick

varnyard
07-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Uros tend to be hotter and dryer than most other species. And it would be hard to match the needs of both species. Also uros tend to be laid back and shy. But this is my view on this. As for myself.
I will not put two separate species together at all. I would not even put two of the same species together, if there is a big difference in size, unless it is a vegetarian. This still does not always work.
If you have two males, one will sometimes bully the other.
IMO, is it not worth taking the chance of them hurting each other.
We are their keepers and it is up to us to keep them safe.

Brisamen
07-13-2005, 07:48 AM
I heard about some putting them together with a four toe tortoise (not sure if they have the same needs myself tho). But my opinion is that you better house them seperat with either their own species or all alone.
That way nothing like snapped off heads/ feet or tails will happen. And the stress is down to a minimum.