PDA

View Full Version : aspen mulch?

alexisonfire
07-18-2005, 05:00 PM
my local herp shop is housing two tegu's ( different cages) in a product called aspen mulch i geuss its mulch i found a big bag at wall-mart for 4 dollars(beats 30 dollars at pets unlimited) so i was just wondering if this is an acceptable substrate for my soon to be tegu or just stick with the highly expensive pet store mulch?

ElliotJasChief
07-18-2005, 06:04 PM
well it seems the conclusions we've come to through many discussions on substrates are this -

cypress and orchid - good
cedar - BAD
everything else - questionable but probably okay

at least thats what I've managed to ascertain :wink:

alexisonfire
07-18-2005, 06:37 PM
haha alright sounds good i bought a bunch of compressed fiber but not shure if i should mix it with anything then i found jungle earth which said it was 90% cypress so i got that but it would talke atleast 4-5 bags to properly fill the enclosuer i am building so the aspen seens to be most feesable as long as it is ok to use!

Rick
07-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Aspen is generally ok for reptiles and it's often used for snakes, but its $4 at walmart for a tiny bag. You can get a 50lb bag of actualy cypress mulch for about $4 to $5

Rick

alexisonfire
07-19-2005, 11:10 AM
yeh i know about the cypress mulch but none of the stores around carry it and say its out of season to order so i gotta go with the next best thing price and quantity wise i think the bag said 35 liters mybey not though