PDA

View Full Version : Waking your tegu

filique
07-19-2005, 07:50 AM
How do you wake your tegu? Do you have a preferred method? What is the best? I usually don't wake mine up. And if I feel I need to I just let the mouse do it :lol: then it dies.....the mouse of course.

ElliotJasChief
07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
the general rule is DON'T. Even tame tegus can get really upset about being awoken.

Rick
07-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Tegus do not like to be disturbed when sleeping. A calm and mellow tegu may still come up mouth open if you try to pull them from their slumber.

Rick

filique
07-19-2005, 08:28 PM
yeah but most times to feed I have to. I prefer a live tegu to a dead one. I know some other people may have the same problem in which case you are forced to wake them.

Rick
07-19-2005, 08:48 PM
My tegus wake up and move around when they are hungry. They are offered food at that time. If they stay under all day, they are not very hungry. A health tegu will not starve itself.

Rick

shawnathon
07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Have you tried a bucket of cold water?
That usually works for me. LOL

Usually my Argentine Red will hear me opening the cage and will come out if it is hungry or curious. As Rick said, A healthy tegu will not starve him/herself.

filique
07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
I assume it is awake during the day, unfortunately most of the time I am at work. The ground will look different each night so unless I have tegu pestering aliens in my house she does look for food. I just want to find a way that makes them less agitated....if possible. I'm not letting my fingers end up like those mice.

Brisamen
07-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Why dont you just place a plate of food in the enclosure?
He or she will come and get it when its hungry.
I sometimes am tawing my mice/rat to come to the conclusion that its much to late and that the tegu is asleep by then...So I just place the tawed food on his plate and place it on the usual spot in the enclosure. When I come downstairs the following day the food and most of the time the plate is gone (plate will be trown down from his basking place to the ground...I think he suspects me of hiding food underneath it or something?)
And I will be finding a tegu with a nice round tummie underneath his basking spot, licking its lips ;)