PDA

View Full Version : Columbian Tegu

GAGT
07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
i've heard from countless people that Columbian black tegus don't tame easily. with regular handling mine is really tame. at first all he did was hiss, but now he doesn't. is this just a rare case or will most have good tempers if handled regularly? my tegu only once tried to bite me, but that was my fault because i startled him when i woke him. is he "tame" because i got him as a juvy? thanks.

Rick
07-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Most Colombians require a lot of daily work. If you do not hold your Colombian for a couple days will it stress, huff, and snap at you? Most will, even if they were tamed down a bit.

Most Argentines tame easy and if not held for a few days they generally look forward to you picking them up.

There is always the exception to the rule.

Rick

GAGT
07-21-2005, 01:39 AM
i once went a week without holding him and he was still tame. i guess i just got a calm one.

Jaden
08-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Nope its normal. Both of mine are semi tame. Which is about all you can claim on a Colombian. They chewed me up when I first got them now they don't seem to bother even trying. Their not as near as bad as a Nile Monitor. Those boys can almost reach their tails by just looking back and will bite until the sun goes down.

James_James
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I agree with Rick, on the handling on a daily basis theory. I've not been handling my Gold as much as I used to, maybe a couple times a week. I have noticed a decrease in his temperament. I used to handle him on a daily basis, this is what I would recommend to other new Columbian owners. Once again I will state that, Columbians need extra handling attention!

CodynThor
12-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Colombian owner here.

Thor (The columbian) is (I suppose you could say) tame...in the since he does not bite or hiss at me.

however, He is very unsettling when I try and have any contact with him,
he runs and jumps out of my hands, trys to crawl to the top of my head, he never just sits down and relaxes, and when we let him play in the bathroom, hell often run into the boxes we have set up for him when we try and play with him or its time to put him back in his home.

I'm not sure but as much as I love him, I don't think he is too terribly fond of me.

I assume this will all kinda die down eventually, after we've put in more quality time with one another, but as of now, i just feed em when he surfaces, mist him, attempt to talk to him and pet him, and wait for his winter cycle to die off and he become more active.