PDA

View Full Version : Yawning...

ElliotJasChief
07-21-2005, 11:35 PM
How often do you all observe your tegus doing that "yawning" thing? I've been noticing lately that mine do it like ten times a day (each)...

I doubt it's a problem but it seems a little excessive to me.

Rick
07-22-2005, 01:13 AM
I never really kept count but I think I see it a few times a day.

Rick

Teiidae
07-22-2005, 04:00 AM
My Colombian always has a few times a day, and my new baby Argentine has as well - Tegu's seem to have a hard life - Wake up, bask, eat, drink, ****, bask again, and back to sleep - That would make me yawn :wink:

charlene
07-22-2005, 05:00 AM
Like Rick I have never counted my tegus yawns but they definitely do it a few times a day. They are just lazy critters I guess lol.

Charlene

tupinambis
07-22-2005, 08:12 PM
All vertebrates yawn. In air breathers, it is believed the reflex is initiated by areas of atelectasis in the lungs, thereby causing a reduction in oxygen delivery to primary areas such as the brain, and results in releasing surfactants and re-opening up areas of atelectasis, and thereby producing better profusion of oxygen rich blood to previously deprived areas.

Diegar
07-24-2005, 03:45 PM
My Colombian always has a few times a day, and my new baby Argentine has as well - Tegu's seem to have a hard life - Wake up, bask, eat, drink, ****, bask again, and back to sleep - That would make me yawn :wink:

I wish i could have a life like that

beardiedragon
07-24-2005, 11:21 PM
as long as your sure it's a yawn I wouldn't worry

http://www.beardiedragon.com/posts/tegu/fred-mouthF.jpg

Diegar
07-24-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't think i would want to see that coming at me!