PDA

View Full Version : could be a problem in the future

repticfan1389
07-28-2005, 02:35 AM
My tegu will not eat pre killed fuzzys and i dont want to feed live mice to him when he is an adult cuz he could get hurt. Any suggestions.

Chizzow
07-28-2005, 05:28 AM
you can try soaking the pre killed fuzzy in warm-hot water so it gives off heat when its in front of the tegu. If that doesn't work, dangle the fuzzy in front of the tegu with some tongs, but once again make sure the fuzzy is warm

good luck

charlene
07-28-2005, 06:41 PM
There are a couple things you could try.

Start by feeding the tegu a live mouse and then quickly follow it with a WARM pre-killed one. Do this for a week or 2 and then try starting with the pre-killed if it doesn't work you can continue with the live then dead for a bit longer or try a different method.

Another thing you could try is feeding him fresh-killed mice. Ones that havn't been frozen at all and are still somewhat warm then slowly try to wean onto pre-killed frozen (and thawed of course). Most lizards (including tegus) do not have a problem eating dead prey the problem comes when they don't recognize the prey item (eg. A mouse that has lost its scent due to freezing)

There is also a spray you can by from many petstores that scent the mice. From what I understand it would give the same effect as a freshly killed mouse. I have never personally used this but it may be worth a shot if nothing else works.

I hope this helped and good luck with your tegu.

Charlene

ElliotJasChief
07-28-2005, 07:06 PM
just out of curiousity...have you confirmed the tegu eats live mice?

repticfan1389
07-29-2005, 12:01 AM
oh yah he eats live mice well

Rick
07-29-2005, 04:00 AM
I don't recall if I had mentioned this to you already in chat or a PM, but boil an egg and rub the dry yoke on a dead/thawed rodent. I have yet to see a tegu refuse a bit of egg scented rodent. ;)

Rick