PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant mice?

reptiledude007
06-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Hey, I am thinking of buying a pregnant Mouse and feeding the baby's off. I know my local reptile shop has them all the time. Is there any thing different in keeping a pregnant mouse different than keeping a non pregnant mouse? I have enough reptiles that eat mice.

Angelrose
06-05-2008, 02:20 PM
hi reptiledude007, I breed mice as feeders and your best bet is to get a fresh family going. that way they will become what I call my 'workers' and they will keep producing for a good while. young mice. 1 male to about 3 females in one tank and let him go to work. you will need a few tanks going tho'

if it's what I'm thinking and the pet store has pregnant mice for sale they are probably the large, older females ???
chances are they are going to eat their babies. they get a little crazy when their old. unless you plan to cut the pinkies out and give the large mouse to any reptiles you have that can handle large.

pregnant mice need protein (and water). you can use chicken feed (which is very cheap) or the dry protien dog nibblets. make sure they always have food and water available at all times or they will eat their babies.

worldeater
06-05-2008, 04:48 PM
i bred mice once, they stink, my tegu ate the whole litter at once.....then the cat stress-killed the female while she was cooking the second batch. my tegu ate the pregnant mouse...then i was tight on money so i fed him the male too. now i just have an ammonia smelling tank in my closet.

i think i'm gonna breed rats someday.

Angelrose
06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
lol. that's funny. yes, they stink alot ! and their a pain in the butt because you have to keep cleaning them like every 2 days ....max.

I use carefresh and put a little vanila extract in their drinking water. this helps the stinks.

reptiledude007
06-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Thank you for you guys help!!! They were out of the pregnant one so I got a male and female and a wiened mouse that was going to go to my snake but they for got to kill it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zqpionqrs0U
Male: Mr. Jingles ( Yes after the Green Mile )
Oldest Female: Kendra
Youngest Female: Holly
My mom and sister name the females. I think it was because I was calling them " The Girls ". I am going down to Osh today to get some more cages. And next week I am going to get another female. am feeding them bird seed ( With out sun flower seed) ((I am going to get some mice food today)) (((I think my sister is going to own Holly))). Will this save me some money on feeding my tegu? I am also working on breeding Crickets. Soon ( If I can talk my mom into it) I am going to try to bred roaches. Do you know what the best one to breed are? I put a little bit of vanilla extract in the males dispenser. I am going to pick up another water thingy for the weened girl.

worldeater
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
don't breed crickets.....it sucks BAD.

breed kingworms or roaches.