PDA

View Full Version : Jumping off

Imaginer
06-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone,
Izzy sits on my shoulders and crawls up & down my arms but sometimes he makes a mad LEAP off me onto anything or just the floor which is pretty far I'm 5'5" tall, luckily I've been able to manoover so he lands on something else so far. I immedidately pick him up to show him that isn't acceptable and sometimes am able to catch him mid jump. What to do about this delema????

Ben3233
06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Does Izzy is still a baby? Because baby Tegu are a bit jumpy, once they get adult, he/she will be calmer.

What you could do, is to handle izzy with your hand when you are moving him somewhere. Then, when you are on a couch or sit on the ground, you can put it on your shoulder.

Try to handle him/her as lower as possible.

good luck! :wink:

Angelrose
06-16-2008, 08:19 PM
hey hi Imaginer, that's funny I was just thinking about you cause of the name Izzy ...lol

Izzy is young and will come along. myself, I get on the floor with them.

really good to hear Izzy is doing well.

txrepgirl
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
When I walked around the house thats what I did and it worked great.With the second picture I had the shirt tucked in so he couldn't fall out.

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=261&pos=22

http://www.thetegu.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&album=261&pos=28

Imaginer
06-21-2008, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I'll be sure to stay lower to the ground, just in case. He's fearless at this point, kind of like a little kid. :wink:
Have a great weekend!
Imaginer/Jamie

txrepgirl
06-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Your welcome.You have a nice weekend,too.Please keep us posted on how things are going.Thanks.

Imaginer
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone,
I've had Izzy for mmm...3 months now, and he's only shed once. I'm going to start feeding him more mice rather than the meal worms and those fat green catipilar guys (he hasn't like crickets in a while now) to see if that helps. The store I got him at suggested bathing him in Gatoraid, has anyony else ever heard of such a thing???
Full of questions,
Imaginer/Jamie

txrepgirl
06-24-2008, 04:13 PM
:D ask away.That's how you learn :wink: .I haven't heard about bathing the Tegu in Gatoraid but you can give it to him if he is dehydrated.Just give Izzy baths when he is already shedding to help him get the shed of better.Please don't give him to many rodents because he can get impacted from all that hair.I would give him rodents just 2 or 3 times a week.Have you tried the lean ground turkey,cut up chicken or turkey breast ? or some tuna,salmon,cod,tilapia fillets ( fresh ) cut up ? it also helps if you give it to him at room temps.I recommend using the calcium powder on Monday,Tuesday.Vitamine powder on Wednesday.Calcium powder on Friday and Saturday and so on.If you need a menu I can give you one that I got from Rick the Breeder.Hope that helps.How is the basking spot and the UVB ?

Angelrose
06-24-2008, 05:26 PM
hey Imaginer, as was said above a gatoraid bath I never heard of. as for shedding you don't have to give them baths unless there is stuck on shed. mix a 'little' cod liver oil in Izzy's food once or twice a week. cod liver oil has more vit. A and more vit. D per unit. it contains 7% each of the elongated omega-3 fatty acids EPA & DHA. in studies proven to fighting diseases.

if there is a shedding problem that is telling you something is wrong with your husbandry.

all tegus are carnivores as hatclings. they will take the same food up until 1 yr of age..