PDA

View Full Version : Mountain of Amphibian Muscle

october
10-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Hello all......Here are 2 brand new vids of Barney... The frog, not the dinosaur ha ha hah ...

Anyway, he is getting bigger by the day, literally..He usually attacks the night crawlers more ferociously than he did in the vids. However, the vids show off what a massive mountain of an amphibian he is.

Towards the end of video one, you can see his teeth.

Rob

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/rcarreau/?action=view&current=MVI_6262.flv

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/rcarreau/?action=view&current=MVI_6261.flv

agallegos37
10-13-2008, 10:00 PM
lol that's a big frog. Cool videos :D

october
10-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks agallegos37....He is only about 7 months old...He will probably be more than twice that size before he's done growing.

Rob

october
10-13-2008, 10:08 PM
p.s. Should have said that Barney is a male south african bullfrog or pixie frog.

Angelrose
10-14-2008, 12:51 AM
october, I never knew these frogs could be such characters. I really enjoy them. can you handle them ?

october
10-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Hello angelrose......Well, you can handle them, but they hate it. Also, you need to wear some form of rubber or latex gloves since the oils in out skin irritate theirs.

Barney is definitely a character. He is a tough frog..lol. When it is time to clean his dish, he usually refuses to move. If I push and tap his butt, he tightens his whole body up and is like..." I'm not moving for anyone or anything". At which point I slide a hand underneath him and scoop him out of the pale.

Also, they do bite, and hard. Those teeth (odontodes) on the bottom jaw are meant to sink into prey and hold it in place. If they miss or mistake your hand, your hand will do just fine as prey...lol

Rob

txrepgirl
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Cute videos.I love your little hedge hogs :D .

Angelrose
10-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Hello angelrose......Well, you can handle them, but they hate it. Also, you need to wear some form of rubber or latex gloves since the oils in out skin irritate theirs.

Barney is definitely a character. He is a tough frog..lol. When it is time to clean his dish, he usually refuses to move. If I push and tap his butt, he tightens his whole body up and is like..." I'm not moving for anyone or anything". At which point I slide a hand underneath him and scoop him out of the pale.

Also, they do bite, and hard. Those teeth (odontodes) on the bottom jaw are meant to sink into prey and hold it in place. If they miss or mistake your hand, your hand will do just fine as prey...lol

Rob

who would have thought that I would fall in love with frogs on a tegu forum ..lol

well, my hand and arm have been prey before. but, I don't want to make a habit out of it. I think they would just be a joy to have around. they make me smile.

I'm still looking. in the meantime, keep those videos coming.

october
10-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Cute videos.I love your little hedge hogs

I love them too, but they are not mine... I took that video at the Petstore thta I buy my feeders from. Those HEdge hogs where only about 2 1/2 weeks old when the video was shot. They are still nursing off the mother. actually, they are noe being weened off. They are still not for sale.

I was interested in getting one, but now I'm not sure. I think I have enough animals.

Rob

laurarfl
10-15-2008, 12:14 PM
LOL, I missed the other video and thought angelrose was calling your frogs hedgehogs! How much do you feed your frog and how often? I have a pyxie that I think is about 4-5 months old, guessing by the size. I feed him a couple of nightcrawlers two or three times a week, but I'm not sure if that's enough. Sometimes I give him a dozen crickets or some supers instead of nightcrawlers. The frog is about 4 inches long total.

october
10-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Hello laurarfl. Is your pixie male or female?

Barney is around 6 inches and is about 7 months old. Females only grow to be around 4 inches, males can grow to around 10 inches.

Anyway, can you post some pics of your pixie? I really don't have a set schedule for my frogs. I do use certain criteria to assess the amounts and frequency that they eat. Sometimes they will eat every day for a few days. Some times I feed them every other day if they are awake. If they are sleeping, I usually let them sleep. Providing they are getting adequate nutrition.

From the information you provided, I think he/she could be feed more. My other male, Monty, is about 4 1/2-5 inches long. He will eat, when he is awake, about 5-7 night crawlers in a sitting, then the next day or the the day after...5-7 again. He gets 1 mouse every 3 weeks. However, this is only because he slept away most of his baby months. These frogs should only get about 1 mouse a month.

Monty is way behind Barney in size, yet is older than Barney. Barney will eat about 10-13 night crawlers about every other day.

As far as Monty goes,I have been waking him up every 2-3 days for the past 7-8 weeks, if needed, to feed him. He eats quite a bit. Normally I wouldn't do this, but seeing as how his growth and nutrition is behind, in my opinion, he needs these thing done. It is definitely paying off. In the last 7-8 weeks, he has practically doubled his size and is catching up to Barney.

Basically, if you could post or email me pics, then we can say whether he is eating enough. However, it sounds like he could be eating more. I feed my frogs until they start having the saddle bag sides. Not so much that they look like they are going to burst. Also, I usually stop feeding them before they finish. I know that they usually eat the last night crawler or cricket I will throw in there. They would probably eat more, but I do not give them more.

Rob

txrepgirl
10-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Laura,it was me that sad something about the Hedge Hogs not angelrose :lol: .If you go back to his link for the frog on the right side of the video are two pictures that you can click on.That's where I saw the other pictures and videos :wink: .

laurarfl
10-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Oops, sorry t, I knew someone said something about hedge hogs! :0

I'll try to post pics. See, I can type fast and pop in a type a message in about 1 min, then go do what I'm supposed to be doing. But taking a picture and then uploading it seems to take forever. So, I wait until I have time which is NEVER!

txrepgirl
10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
:lol: that's ok.I do that sometimes,too.Espacially when I'm here on the forum late at night ( early in the morning after I come home from work ) and I'm tiered.