PDA

View Full Version : Painting a mural in a cage?

Shan
08-21-2005, 10:15 PM
The cage that I am getting is white. I was wondering if I painted a jungle type mural in the background what type of paint should I use. Or could I use acrylic paint then put a polyurethane finish on it would that be ok?

charlene
08-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Try to get water-proof paint. The humidity in a tegus cage will quickly ruin an unprotected paint job. For this reason most water-based paints are out of the question. As for the finish + acrylic paint I have never used it but it could be worth trying It's probably less expensive then the water-proof stuff and would have a better colour selection. Just make sure whatever you get is non-toxic when dry.

Overall it sounds like a neat project. Right now I am also trying to spice up my all white cage with some pictures I cut out of magazines. I'm planning on making a collage on the outside of the cage when I figure out a good way to paste and protect them.

Charlene

Shan
08-21-2005, 11:52 PM
That sounds real fun. My husband is a wonderful artiest so I wanted to hit him up to paint a mural on the back and sides. I know when you build a cage you are supposed to use polyurethane for paint. So I figured if I used acrylic and then put a clear polyurethane over it, it may be ok. I hope so. Thanks for your input. When I finnish I will post pictures. Shan

08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
You might want to try putting a piece of plexi...or better yet, lexan (it's much more scratch resistant than plexi) over the mural to keep the painting from getting ruined. Also, check out the kingsnake.com forum for cage building and looking around over there. Lots of good info on what kinds of paints to use and not use.

Shan
08-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Thanks I will check it out. I really appreciate the help from everyone. This is a wonderful forum. Shannon