PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure placement?

Shan
08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
I had a few questions about where to place the tegu enclosure. My husband is real excited about Gooch and wants to put his enclosure in the living room. But the only place it will fit is next to the couch covering the front window next to the entry door. Now for the Q! Should I worry because it is a high traffic area? Or should he be fine with lots of movement around his cage? I know my snake can care less. But the big Blue front Amazon Parrot we had wanted to be in the same room but in a quiet area or he would go after people that came to close to his cage. I don't want him to be stressed. I would appreciate any advise. Still learning about those tegus. Thanks, Shannon

Teiidae
08-24-2005, 02:35 PM
All of my lizards enclosures are in the livingroom/diningroom - They seem to have no problem with traffic - Other than the dog getting wound up or barking when someone is at the door, they seem to phase that out. I like for them to be all visible - Now I would be interested to know where Rick has all his 20 or so lizards lol :wink:

Rick
08-24-2005, 04:22 PM
I find that a high traffic area is ok as long as it's not always loud. The tegu will need to be able to move into its hide and have it semi quiet when it wants to relax. A pro of the high traffic area is that the tegu will be used to seeing lots of new people and will get used to people moving by briskly, sometimes stopping to inspect the enclosure.

You need to use a little judgement based on how the tegu is reacting. If people walk by quickly and the tegu starts running into the enclosure walls, then you may want to cover the front with a sheet or something to give the tegu time to relax while all of the activity is happening.

The part that concerns me most is "the only place it will fit is next to the couch covering the front window next to the entry door". The problem here is a window makes it hard to regular a stable temp. One bright sunny days you could actually heat the enclosure baking your tegu. If you are going to put the enclosure here I would cover the window with some foam insulation and leave the enclosure out a few inches from the wall.

Hope that helps.

Rick

Shan
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
I am hoping the enclosure can go here.http://www.www.thetegu.com/modules/Gallery/albums/Shan-s-Growing-Reptile-Family/100_1579.thumb.jpg
It will go in the corner with the back of the enclosure facing the windows. It is an all wooden cage with sliding glass front doors. And the patio is all enclosed solid walls with a wooden awning and it is security gated. It keeps the direct sun out but it still seems somewhat bright.