PDA

View Full Version : What Foods are that roaches can eat?

CuriousTegu
12-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi I'm getting some roaches this tuesday and i was wondering what kind of foods could they eat?

I know they could eat cricket feeder which i bought already. But i was seeing if there is any other kind of foods they could eat, that i can either mix in with the cricket feeder or just by itself. :D

Thanks
Curious Tegu :)

laurarfl
12-01-2008, 01:50 AM
Maybe I'm too "ghetto" with my roaches, but I feed them whatever is on hand. I give them dog food as a protein source which they sometimes nibble. I also give them pelleted reptile food (they love it!). They get the collard or kale stems, orange slices, mushy strawberries, etc. However, too much fresh produce makes their stools wet and then I hold back.

worldeater
12-02-2008, 09:31 PM
i feed mine ground up catfood with spirulina and bluegreen algae powder mixxed in.

i also offer fruit occasionally, mostly an orange cut in half, the only really important thing is that you don't let the roaches eat moldy fruit. they can and will eat the mold, but it makes em toxic to your reptiles.

or so i'm told.........

laurarfl
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
I also heard that feeding calcium rich cricket feeder can shorten the life of feeder insects. Just kinda heard it through the grapevine...don't know if there's any truth to it or not. I like to gutload with reptile pellets since it is like reptile food.

worldeater
12-02-2008, 11:54 PM
lol, makes sense.

pokeystotle
04-24-2009, 01:36 AM
Maybe I'm too "ghetto" with my roaches, but I feed them whatever is on hand. I give them dog food as a protein source which they sometimes nibble. I also give them pelleted reptile food (they love it!). They get the collard or kale stems, orange slices, mushy strawberries, etc. However, too much fresh produce makes their stools wet and then I hold back.

No, I do that too!!! I feed my roaches leftovers a lot of the time. Fruit, greens, all kinds of stuff. People at the American Tarantula Society used to feed them even old coffee grinds. Talk about busy roaches. I keep a large colony of hissers in a ten gallon on repti-bark, with paper towel cardboard rolls that I change periodically. They are thriving. I keep them dark, and warm as well.

laurarfl
04-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Yep, hissers, 10 gallon tank, cypress mulch, toilet paper tubes, lol!