PDA

View Full Version : General Herp and Tegu Smell **HELP**

prolecat
08-29-2005, 03:25 AM
I live in a dorm and my roommate is complaining about the smell of the tank. To me its just the general smell that herps have, i dont disagree with it, but i guess its something you learn to live with. Most keepers most likely dont even notice.

My question is what have you guys found to be the best way in combating the smell. I have one of those "wisp" things and i have lysol that i spray after they do their business. When they go, i usually can tell (by the smell) and i spot clean it on the spot and spray lysol around to ger rid of the smell. But theres always the lingering herp smell.

I cant be taking my huge vision out in the courtyard and cleaning it out every week because for one, im not even supposed to have these int he dorm, and second its big and heavy. I spot clean and add new mulch and take out the bad mulch by hand in the dirty spots.

I just need suggestions for this situation because it might end up making me have to sell the pair of tegus and i like having them around.

drfish
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Lots of magic tree's should do the trick, lol.

prolecat
08-30-2005, 04:36 PM
i dont follow

charlene
08-30-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure what you can do about that. The only time I smell my tegu is when he does his business and as soon as I clean it clears up. You could try opening a window or maybe use some febreeze (that helps me get rid of ferret smell). Other than that you may just have to ask your roomate to give it some time to get use to.

Charlene

Rick
08-31-2005, 12:57 AM
I find if the odor gets strong its time for a complete substrate change and a diluted water/bleach wipedown and time to air out. Then I add new substrate. Keep in mind that the foods you tegu eats will also affect the smell. I found that chicken and too many bananas make my tegus stink really bad. I also had a rescued red who was fed cat/dogfood before I got it and it was very stinky too, until that junk worked out of it's system and it was on a regular diet.

Rick

techrev
09-14-2005, 04:19 PM
My enclosure smelled pretty bad also and I found an easy solution.

VOLCANIC ROCK.

You will see these bags sold under all kinds of names. Basically its volcanic rocks inside of a mesh bag. You see them advertised on TV a lot for cleaning odors out of cars, closets, etc. They actually do work and they last for years. You just have to put them in direct sunlight about once a year.

I've seen them called Refresh A Car ()http://www.homefocuscatalog.com/home/cleaning-and-storage/80105-Refresh-A-Car.html) and other stuff. I use this in my car and I also have one in the cat liter box. Works AMAZING.

A company called Gonzo makes a bunch of them (they're all the same)

Odor Eliminators (http://www.gonzocorp.com/odor.htm)

I dropped a bag in my enclosure last night and all the odor is gone completely. Doesn't smell like roses of course but the point is that it doesn't smell like ANYTHING.