PDA

View Full Version : Feeding in cage??

K8t
08-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I try feeding my Tegu outside of her cage but she doesn't really eat anything when I do that. I put her in a separate container to feed her and she doesn't like it, then I tried feeding her on the floor and she gets distracted and wonders off. So I am now feeding her in her cage and she eats A TON!! Is it ok to feed her in her cage? I just don't want her to one day bite my hand thinking it's food. What should I do?? Thanks!

Katie

Teiidae
08-29-2005, 04:38 PM
I would continue to try feeding outside the enclosure - My Argentine at 1st did not eat either, but since has picked up on it and now exclusively eats live food outside the enclosure - The only food I feed in the enclosure is what can be fed in a bowl - Turkey, eggs...

I have tried feeding on the floor with the bowl, however like you said mine wanders off as well ...

K8t
08-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I will continue to feed her outside of the cage as best as I can and leave a bowl of food in her cage incase she is still hungry, thanks for the advice

katie

holygouda
08-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Just keep trying. My tegu wouldn't eat outside the cage either. Tegu's seem to do good with repetitive behavior though. Inside the cage, once he realized the bowl that he was getting food in, I could put it anywhere and he would know there was food to be had. He will get the hang of it after a while.

James_James
08-29-2005, 11:58 PM
I feed my Gold , thawed mice, inside his enclosure. He has never made an attempt to bite me. I'm able to tend to his cage, with no worries of being bit!

Demon_Knight
08-30-2005, 12:09 AM
katie, where abouts do you live? and what kind of animals do you have? its always nice to see more people from AZ on here, i live out in the middle of no where queen creek and i've got an argentine black and white, she's between 2-4 months old i think. good luck on the feeding thing, i feed mine every other day in a cardboard box right now since she's small enough and i feed her like 20 odd crickets she mostly just likes to kill them, she enjoys the hunt. i will sometimes leave a bowl of food in her cage too, mostly can 'o pillars or stuff like that. laters.

nick

James_James
08-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Young juveniles should be offered food every day. :wink: