PDA

View Full Version : Question about Uv Lights way they are positioned ...

Rob-905-Canada
04-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Okay so I am wondering if I have my uvb fixture and Uvb long bulb that goes into on side of the tank near the basking area is still as effective as if it was above?

I have Uvb above in all my enclosures for every reptile except my smallest monitor because I bought an enclosure that had it on the side (the enclosure was used one and was cheap and it looks really good) and when i say inside i mean actually inside on the side of the back not on the outside of the glass or anything like that

Angelrose
04-06-2009, 11:53 PM
That's a really interesting q. Do you think it would hurt the tegus eyes tho' ? ....if he is looking right into it ?

Rob-905-Canada
04-07-2009, 04:44 AM
That's a really interesting q. Do you think it would hurt the tegus eyes tho' ? ....if he is looking right into it ?
Its for my like 3 week old Savannah Monitor but I was wondering the same thing.

This is a rough spraypaint/drawing of it on paint. Sand, rocks,cork bark, fake dead tree, water bowl, heat light, uvb light all the things in it:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/413/uvbquestion.png

Angelrose
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
HI Rob, Great drawing! Thank you.

I have a sav monitor for at least 5-6 years now. I had him since he was just a tiny lil' baby.

I hope this doesn't cause alot of controversy but I haven't used a UVB bulb on him (his name is Bear) ever.

He did have a weight problem a while back. That problem was resolved. Other than that, Bear is about 3 1/2 - 4ft today and healthy, sweet and shy.

He only basks for a short time unlike tegus and they like to hide most of the time.

Rob-905-Canada
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Was it already an adult when you got it?

Angelrose
04-08-2009, 01:55 AM
It's hard to believe now, especially by looking at him but he was an itty-bitty sav when I brought him home. Seems like yesterday.

Rob-905-Canada
04-08-2009, 04:53 AM
How did your Savannah Monitor get ultraviolet B?

Angelrose
04-08-2009, 01:44 PM
That's the thing, he never really did. When the warmer months came around I would take him out in the mid-morning sun and not all the time.

but, Bear never had a special UVB bulb at all. He is here and healthy today.

crimsonrazac
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
All the monitors I can think of are okay without uvb. That does NOT mean a tegu would be okay without it. [/b]

laurarfl
04-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I've heard that about monitors. I read a study where I guess some component of Vit D in the blood was measured in monitors after sun exposure and after oral D3 supplementation. Supposedly, there was no difference in the two groups.

As for the light fixture question, I have a couple of cages set up with lights on the back. They are kitchen light fixtures and although they are inside the cage, they are hung up towards the top of the cage.