PDA

View Full Version : separate after breeding or not?

ziff
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
My male red has been in breeding mode for like 2 1/2 weeks. The female seems to be growing thicker in the middle. My question is should i separate them now or just let him keep trying. if her eggs are already growing can he cause damage to the eggs? :?

DaveDragon
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Give the female some hay to build a nest. Let them go at it until she starts building, then separate them. If they copulated she will lay in 7 to 14 days. She will probably get aggressive and defend her nest. The male might try to eat the eggs.

eradi
04-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Upon successful copulation the gestation period is about 30 days.
With mine I pull her out about a week prior to when I think she will lay.
That gives her time to build her nest, etc. She will usually be busy moving the substrate around and acting restless.
Her appetite will drop off as well. My female usually stops eating 5 or 6 days before she lays.
If you don't have straw, pick some up. She can move it around easily and make her nest with it. Give her lots to work with. She will become aggressive protecting her nest once she lays. With mine, her "guarding" behavior continued well after I removed the eggs. Obviously, you will need to remove her before collecting the eggs.

Good luck!

My tegus are late this year - they just started going at it. However, I am also in WI and it has been a long cold Spring here with only a couple of warms days.

ziff
05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
she's been spending a lot of time in her hide and she is pushing the water dish into the opening to close it off..tomorrow i will put the straw in.

GOT_TEGUS01
05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
with mine GUs after breeding you see them building nest ( I use hay) they start making the clump. at this time I seperate males from females and females from other females. I have a 16 ft inside cage that i put dividers in for each female keep them seperate :D til next breeding season.. they can stay Aggressive towards (you) and other GUs So seperate.. Good luck my friend

ziff
05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
thanks guys i have my fingers crossed!!!