PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about crickets

BigLou69
09-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I talked to the guy at the pet store today and I was gonna buy a pinkie to feed to my Tegu and I told him it was the first time, so he reccomended that i start him off on crickets. So i bought a half dozen. Let me tell you he sucked those bad boys down as soon as they were dropped into the cage. I couldnt believe it. But anyways Im wondering how many should i feed to him at a time, cause it looked like he was looking for more to eat. My other question is how many times do i need to feed him crickets before I can feed him a Pinkie? Thanks

Shan
09-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Feed him till he is full. Once he stops going after them then he is done. You should also be giving him mealworms and pinkies, roaches,scrambled egg once in a while, some ground turkey with supplements it in, like miner all. I hope this helps. I am still very new to tegus but I am sure some of the more experienced ones will chime in on this post. They are very helpful here. You can also go to helpful info and it talks about diet. Shannon

Teiidae
09-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I believe in your other post you said he was around 12 inches - If so he should be eating pinkies now - As far as how many crickets, drop some in and if he eats them all, drop some more in - Let him get his fill :wink:

Lord_Duron
09-14-2005, 05:22 AM
Ya I also wonder about feeding
I'm new to having a tegu
(My tegu name is Tila) <('.'<)
I dont want a fat baby, though
today I did scramble her an egg
with chop banana's in and let her have
her fill. What I'm wondering is should I
do this all the time. I mean Tila Seem to
want to Eat Like daily should I let her
or feed her every other day.

Regards,
Duron

Englishtegu
09-14-2005, 08:11 AM
If you have a young growing animal, you should feed it every day, maintaining variety to avoid it from getting hooked on one particular food. You can't really overfeed them; they will stop eating when full. You only need to be concerned about managing their food intake once they are approaching adult size. At 12 or 15" long they should be able to take three or four pinkies in a feed easily. I let my female fat-tail geckos, which are 6 or 7" have two or three pinkies once every couple of weeks in the breeding season...

Mark.