PDA

View Full Version : Black reproduction areas :mice

theblueplatypus
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I've noticed that a pair of breeder mice that I have have black and swollen reproductive areas. The male is our main breeder, he gets moved around between the females and the female with the black hind end recently had babies.
I've done all the research I can and have yet to find anything of a condition like this. I'm wondering if it's cancer, or perhaps some sort of reproductive disease. What I really want to know is if it is safe to feed these to my tegu. Will the offspring get it?
Any input appreciated, thanks all.

txrepgirl
06-01-2009, 06:08 AM
:oops: I'm sorry that I can't help you much on this one but I would give it a shot and call the people at rodentpro.com.Since they are breeding the rodents there they maybe can help you.I wish you good luck.

http://www.rodentpro.com/contact.asp

laurarfl
06-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Contacting Rodent Pro is an excellent idea!

It may be a bacterial infection of sorts...a mousy STD if you will. The female may have had a uterine infection or some sort of bacteria...or perhaps the male did. I would keep the female isolated and hold off on Mr. Studmuffin's rounds for a couple of weeks and let him process things on his own so he doesn't contaminate anyone else. ;) It's hard to say if the babies will come out OK. Personally, I wouldn't feed any questionable mice to my animals, but your mileage may vary. Just too many bugs in that brew y'know!

txrepgirl
06-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Thanks Laura :) .

theblueplatypus
06-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks you two.
The female had her litter and there were only two babies in it, so I'm going to hazard a guess they're not genetically/bacetrially/viraly right in every way. Thank you for the contact, I will have to speak with them.

txrepgirl
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Your welcome.I'm sorry to hear that she just had two babies.I hope they can give you the info you need.Good luck.Please keep us posted.Thanks and good luck.