PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any success with breeding quails?

Shonuff
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Has anyone had any success with breeding quails? I just thought of the idea of having something different to go around for feeding. If so, what cage size dimesions should you use to house them and what would you use for feeding them? Also how many would you house together and of each sex?

Shonuff
08-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Oh yeah, it's just for the eggs.

txrepgirl
08-19-2009, 04:48 AM
No, I haven't sorry.

Shonuff
08-20-2009, 06:56 AM
It's alright. I looked a couple of sites on the subject. I'm not getting into it now, but just preparing for the future.

tkeller00
10-19-2009, 12:38 AM
Quail are not hard to breed, however they require quite a bit of space, and may not be legally kept in some states. there are easier ways to get the eggs, and frankly its more cost effective to probably buy them vs. spending the time, money, and effort to raise them.

Shonuff
11-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks. I decided not to go with the idea. Lol. I'll just buy them. I don't need anything else to add to my little zoo.;-)

JBW Exotics
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I raise coturnix quail. They lay year round and the eggs are 3-4 times the nutritional content of chicken eggs, plus there's no bad cholesterol. They dont require a lot of space unless you want them flight conditioned. The price/bag of gamebird feed went up to @$20, so I started feeding them chicken laying pellets for @ $9/bag with the same results. Sell a couple dozen eggs/month and you come out on the positive side moneywise. If you have any questions about them email me at kiteboardjosh@gmail.com.

Shonuff
04-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Cool and thanks.

lilwyhunter
04-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Even though you decided not to go with it, I'll throw my two cents in. :) I "attempted" button quails and ducks last summer due to the fact that Remington can easily go through 12 eggs a week. The buttons laid, but they'd never ever be quiet and if they got lose it was a nightmare. The ducks on the other hand were fun to have around, but extremely time consuming to maintain. They were a lot of work, adorable mind you, but we could never figure out a good system of watering them and then figuring out how to heat them in the winter.

My best advice, find someone local who does it for a living and offer to pay them. It's cheaper, and cleaner...I will never be doing any type of avian care again, haha.