PDA

View Full Version : Skunkathon

lilwyhunter
09-02-2009, 12:16 AM
So, apparently the skunks out East here smell alot different then back home in Wyoming. Or maybe it's just that we don't have any that wander around in yards.

Anyways, two weeks ago my dumb ol' malamute managed to capture and kill a possum in our backyard. Now, I'm thinking, I live right in the middle of the city of Manchester and there are houses on all sides of me and a school across the street, what the heck is a possum doing here? Miko is a big baloo and afraid of cats, but boy if anything gets near his friend the duck they are toast. So, yesterday there's this wierd smell about my house, and it's moving so I can't really pinpoint it. I search it up and down and it's not a smell I've smelt before but finally I just spray down the house and move on.

Well, this morning I wandered out into the yard to check on my duck and low and behold, next to the duck pen is a torn apart juvenile skunk. Fortunately, Bill wasn't hit and I'm not sure if Miko was sprayed because the smell is only on his head, I'm thinking he nosed around in it a bit before finally forgetting about it.

The trashmen unknowingly took the dead the dead carcass with them this morning (which surprisingly didn't stink) and Miko stinks beyond everything. Right now we've done peroxide and baking soda, with an extra baking soda scrub sitting, but he only smells on his head and right between the eyes. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do next?

wintermagic
09-02-2009, 01:33 AM
try vinegar and water. we used that in a groom shop.

Ben3233
09-02-2009, 02:50 AM
So, apparently the skunks out East here smell alot different then back home in Wyoming. Or maybe it's just that we don't have any that wander around in yards.

Anyways, two weeks ago my dumb ol' malamute managed to capture and kill a possum in our backyard. Now, I'm thinking, I live right in the middle of the city of Manchester and there are houses on all sides of me and a school across the street, what the heck is a possum doing here? Miko is a big baloo and afraid of cats, but boy if anything gets near his friend the duck they are toast. So, yesterday there's this wierd smell about my house, and it's moving so I can't really pinpoint it. I search it up and down and it's not a smell I've smelt before but finally I just spray down the house and move on.

Well, this morning I wandered out into the yard to check on my duck and low and behold, next to the duck pen is a torn apart juvenile skunk. Fortunately, Bill wasn't hit and I'm not sure if Miko was sprayed because the smell is only on his head, I'm thinking he nosed around in it a bit before finally forgetting about it.

The trashmen unknowingly took the dead the dead carcass with them this morning (which surprisingly didn't stink) and Miko stinks beyond everything. Right now we've done peroxide and baking soda, with an extra baking soda scrub sitting, but he only smells on his head and right between the eyes. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do next?

Sorry for your dog, One of my dog also has been "sprayed" by a skunk one day. Many people recommand tomato sauce, which is awful for the dog skin (too acid). I would recommand you to use Crush Cream Soda, it works well with our dog. We wash him a couple of time with Crush and water and the smell was almost gone.

Good luck!

tupinambis
09-02-2009, 04:12 AM
My sister has a dog that got sprayed, they tried the vinegar, tried peanut butter, tried tomatoe juice, all of it failed. Poor dog was a mess. Then they tried something they hadn't heard of for getting rid of skunk spray, but they had tried everything else in the house. Low and beyond, it worked like nothing they had ever imagined. Go down to your pharmacy or grocery store, go to the feminin hygiene isle, and get your hands on Massengill douche. Think about it, there's a reason it works.

BogganR
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Go down to your pharmacy or grocery store, go to the feminin hygiene isle, and get your hands on Massengill douche. Think about it, there's a reason it works.
This is what we used at the Vet Office I worked at.. and it seemed to work pretty well

4HORSE
09-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I hope your dog has had his rabies vaccination. Skunks can carry rabies.

lilwyhunter
09-08-2009, 02:07 PM
We didn't even think about the whole rabies thing until later on when I was on the phone with my husband. Of course he's had his vaccinations (as dogs have to be registered like cars in the state of NH) but we're still monitoring attitude and temperment for the next few weeks. Of course, Miko can't stay out of trouble until then. Just this weekend he stayed with my in-laws because I surprised the hubby with a visit to Virginia for the long weekend, and not only did Miko take off, but he came back the next morning with a few extra whiskers if you know what I mean. And Malamutes are giant babies, so he whined and cried and damned our souls to hell while my sister and I picked the porcupine quills out of his face.

Just another funny story chalked up to Miko. :)