PDA

View Full Version : Dirt for substrait? every one look!!!!!!!

tegu_girl0
09-29-2005, 11:15 PM
hey i wus reading somewere that i could house gonzo on dirt as long as i baked it is that true? that would be cheaper than geting freshbeding every month-2 months like i have been

i used this for my mice a while ago and it helped with there smell but now im thinking maby gonzo would like it

-sara

tegu_girl0
09-29-2005, 11:59 PM
ok im kinda bumping this but also posting a q

whould that hold humidaty?

drfish
10-04-2005, 01:31 PM
As long as the dirt hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, and hasn't had animal faeces on it etc, it should be fine straight from your garden, without the need to bake it. The soil/dirt will actually contains bacteria thats benefits your tegu.

Also, in terms of humidity, nothing will really hold humidity better than soil/dirt. Look at your garden a few hours after a good downpour, you won't have to dig deep to find moisture. Good drainage is quite important tho, in case too much moisture is being held. Soil/Dirt will also provide a much better medium for burrows and hides, than any wood based mulch will.

I'm planning on changin my Bosc montiors substrate for dirt when I upgrade his enclosure in a few months time. If it works well, I may do the Tegu as well.