PDA

View Full Version : Need more Advice...Feeder Questions

John
01-03-2005, 06:41 PM
She is 2yrs old, 3ft and 6lbs. What size rats would you recommend? They aren't near as big as B & W's or Reds so jumbo's seem to be out of the question. I was thinking small/medium? I'm getting ready to make a bulk rodent order and need to have all of this figured out before I do it. In bulk Mice are cheapest through Big Cheese (from what I've found) and Rats are cheapest through Rodent Pro (I've used them before) so I'll probably just make an order through both places. Only problem is if shipping kills me with Rodent pro do to the weight of the Rats I'll have to see if it would be worth it for me to get my rodents somewhere locally. Mice don't weigh much and 500 shipped I was quoted something like 275 which is very good IMO. Anyways....Let me know so I can get this order on the road. I will only be maintain feeding the female. The male is still growing and will be feeding like a little piggy. Along with this order I'll have to go pick up a mini Freezer. I still need to figure out what I'm doing cage wise! I don't like the idea of going in from the side due to a deep substrate/being at mouth level. I like going in from the top of the enclosure. I have no idea how I would build the top of the enclosure. A trough is a nice cheap way out but it doesn't exactly look appealing. I'm not really in the mood to build anything LOL. Ahwell...I'll keep looking...need to get this figured out soon!

beardiedragon
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
You are probably better off with small rats for your girl. I have been told Blues can be sustained on a rodent diet alone so there are no worries there. You can always offer fruit to see if she will take any. Worse case, if you want to get mice, just feed a few at a time. Your male is not ready for rats. You could try a rat pinkie but they are higher in fat and do not have the calcium or D3 of a rat pup let alone an adult.

John
01-03-2005, 07:15 PM
I'll go with Small Rats then! It'll save me money that's for sure! I'm also being told they can be sustained on a diet of just rodents. Everything else I try he says "no" to and I haven't tried anything else with her yet as she likes to sleep. My male will only be on adult mice till he gets some more size on him! Rats are only for the larger girl. My male takes 3 mice per feeding....he's growing fast!