PDA

View Full Version : influenza A(h1n1)

Ben3233
11-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm just curious about it.
How it's going in USA or other country?

In Quebec (Canada) people are crazy about it. Everybody is scared for their live.
IMO, I think that this influenza is not worst than any other one.

How it's going in other country?

Have a nice day!

laurarfl
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Here in FL there are a lot of cases, probably due to the large amount of traffic we have with tourism, business conventions, etc. I know of five people personally who have had a flu of some sort. Unless there is a serious problem, officials aren't testing for H1N1 and treating with Tamiflu. Most people are worried about their children.

I have an autoimmune disease and have to take two immunosuppressant meds. My doc recommended that I get a flu vaccine along with all of my family. The only problem is that we can only receive the injectable form since it's a killed virus. The only thing available around here is the nasal spray which causes people to shed the live virus, and even that is in limited supply. So..I don't think I'll even be able to get the injectable form, but I'm sure I'll survive. :)

My biggest fear is my 13yo daughter's ballet school. I think of the the younger students who have class before her who have been to school all day, sneeze into their hands, and then touch the ballet barre...ick!! Then she has her hands on the barre for 30 minutes or so. The way the day is scheduled, the 3-7yo kids have class from about 3-4 and then the older levels have class later. Her classes run from about 5:30 or 6:30 until 8:30, after all the littles and their even younger siblings have been there. There's gotta be flu germs EVERYWHERE! I'm not a germaphobe, but it makes me shudder some days, lol! This is the stuff that makes your immune system stronger, so grin and bear it I guess (and wash your hands when you can)!

txrepgirl
11-03-2009, 11:27 PM
We had 22 kids die here in Texas.I want to get my son his shot but for my self I'm not to worried about it.My boyfriend wants to get the shot, too.

Mr. Brownstone
11-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I think alot of people are overreacting in the U.S.. In my opinion it's just another disease, and nothing to be concerned about. The normal flu is also more lethal. I can't stand the constant "were all gonna die".

Shredder
11-03-2009, 11:59 PM
i know 2 people that have had it and as long as you take all the precautionary steps that you would with any flu you should be fine. I wouldnt advise getting the h1n1 shot from what ive heard there are some pretty horrible side effects and its not hard to stay away from. just got to be a little careful and wash up when in public.

laurarfl
11-04-2009, 12:28 AM
It's the live virus in the nasal spray that has the side effects.

I think the current fear is the similarity between the 2009 H1N1 and the 1918 Spanish Influenza Epidemic. Our current virus is believed to be within the same lineage. In 1918, the spring outbreak of the flu was very mild. When the outbreak returned in the fall, it was more virulent and quiet lethal. The difference now is that we have medications such as Tamiflu (which may or may not be effective in the long run) and better awareness of hygiene.

Fork
11-04-2009, 12:35 AM
I had H1N1 recently, i had a fever of 100+ for about a week, had muscle sores, etc. The normal symptoms. It's not that bad and I never planned on getting the vaccine anyways. Why it is scary is the fact that it is made up of 5 different flu's actually, two originating from swine, two from humans, and one avian flu. If a pig gets H1N1 and an avian flu at the same time, which is more lethal, it could be very dangerous because the infected swine would be the perfect breeding ground for a new deadlier strain that would have the same if not worse outcome as the spanish influenza in 1918.

Boozer
11-04-2009, 03:47 AM
all i know is that somehow the pharmaceutical companies have got to be making a bundle!
me not afraid of any flu:evil: hehe
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Whitelightning
11-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Well. I am not afraid at all of it. I take an organic vitamn called Double X along with some other vitamins, and i havent been sick this whole year. Besides when i got food poisioning from krsytals.

03venom
11-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Its a pandemic, because WE... well mostly the media made it that way. Its alomst the same exact strain as your basic seasonal FLU. Flu strains morph constantly... just about every year. The vast majority of people that chat on this site should fear nothing. As we all know it attacks the very young and the very old the hardest (because of the weakened immune systems)... its the weak immune systems, or underlying conditions that is killing people NOT just the flu. Same idea with AIDS... we die from our bodies being so weak, and then being attacked by a BASIC cold. I am a nurse and have zero trust on a rushed H1N1 vaccine until I can see lasting side effects, I would suggest people get their regular flu shots and get on (an even over the counter) immune system boost medication. Know the initial signs and symptoms of the flu, and IF you do happen to get sick, notify the people you were in contact with within the past 2 days and quarantine yourself... IMO there really is NO need to go to hospital until you are having excessive vomiting and diarrhea (at this point dehydration and electrolyte imbalance becomes a concern as well). Again, quarantine yourself, in your house... and drink lots of fluids.

GOT TEGUS
11-05-2009, 01:11 AM
I know here in northeast they shut down schools over 12 cases of swine flu. i rather have them close the schools during flu season than risking kids lives. they can go to school in the summer right ?

agallegos37
11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Chuck Norris doesn't get the flu. The flu gets Chuck Norris.

lol but I'm personally not too worried at the moment. I knew this year it was gonna get bad when all the kids started going back to school. I have 5 younger siblings and they all go to school and they were all pretty sick a few weeks ago. But we just frequently washed hands, quarantined the sick kids, and it passed. I'm unscathed so far ;)

geu57
11-05-2009, 07:45 AM
i have h1n1 right now and it sucks i got it Halloween night and its terrible. i get such high fevers that i hallucinate and i get dizzy enough where i cant walk. ive been coughing so much that i cant cough anymore so it sounds like a dog is coughing and its just one long big cough it isnt broken up into sections if you can get what im saying.

03venom
11-05-2009, 10:37 PM
And in response to my own (I would never take the H1N1 vaccine, post ^) guess what happened to me today? Well I was in class because I am continuing my nursing education... well I start my maternity/pedi rotation next week, the Dean of the program walks into the class and pretty much mandates us to take the H1N1 vaccine for swine flu prevention of the compromised babies. So now what? Great... its either not take the vaccine or not graduate, I opted to take the vaccine. So far I am still perfectly healthy hahaha.

Ben3233
11-06-2009, 07:07 PM
In quebec, nurse are forced to get the H1n1 Vaccine, if not, they are forced to stay at their house...

03venom
11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
In quebec, nurse are forced to get the H1n1 Vaccine, if not, they are forced to stay at their house...

Really? That sucks, I think they are trying to mandate it in hospitals around here... or at least it should be more of a concern for somebody who works in a hospital. The elderly are more susceptible of actual death from the swine flu, however they are less likely to actually get it due to them being "permanant" residents.