PDA

View Full Version : Question about price - Is this a good one?

SPJ
10-16-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a chance to pick up a really colorful Argentine Red tegu. It is a female and about 3 feet long including tail. All toes, nails, and full tail.

This girl is puppy dog tame. I mean you could literally describe it as a lap lizard (I have seen it and handled it for quite a while already).

The only flaw is a small sore on the top of her head. It looks like she had a bad shed and it was left on and blistered or had an injury. It is not large but it is there and the owner doesn't know what happened and doesn't think it is serious. Could this be something really bad or just something that anibiotics could treat? Could the docile nature be becasue it is sick?

It eats canned tegu food, fruits, f/t mice, superworms, and crickets.

The price on it is $150.

Let me know what your opinions on it are.

Thanks.

Is this a good price or am I being charge too much.

Teiidae
10-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Not sure on the sore on the top of the head - Maybe you could post a pic of it and some can chime in, and have it checked out - The price sounds right IMO...

YorkOC
10-17-2005, 05:42 AM
I personally would advise not buying a hurt/ sick animal from everyone. You made a good point about the docile nature it could be b/c it is sick. To feel comfortable b4 you buy it I would rec. taking it to a vet and having them check it out. Also make sure if its eating and has a good feeding response. You can feel safe that way. The person you are potentially going to buy it from shouldn't have a problem with that. It sounds to me like maybe its a burn or something of that nature. Does the owner know if it brushed up against the heat lamp in the cage? Buy a hatchling and raise it up from the beginning I think you can find one for like 150 including shipping on kingsnake.com tegu classifieds.

drfish
10-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Could be something as simple as an old burn from contact with a heat bulb.

I have seen this so many times now it's untrue, and people still insist on leaving unprotected and unstable light fittings in their enclosures.

if your in doubt, get it checked over by a vet before purchasing, it'll cost you all of $20

Rick
10-17-2005, 03:23 PM
If you go in and look at my pictures of Tee (my female hybrid) you will see one missing scale that healed over quite well, but left a red spot on her head. This was prior to me getting her so I couldn't tell you what caused it, just that an old sore may not be a huge issue, but if it's a fresh sore I would be weary.

Rick

SPJ
10-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I looked at the pictures.

That mark looks like what is on this tegu's head (the one on this red is just a little bigger and not as completely healed over).

I asked the seller if I could take it to the vet to get it checked first but he said to buy it and if there is anything wrong, he would refund the money but not the vet bill.

That doesn't really sit too well with me.

I think I am going to go with a baby B&W from Bobby Hill (Varnyard) instead.

SPJ
10-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Well, a baby female B&W is being shipped tomorrow for me from Bobby Hill (Varnyard).

I decided not to go with the red after all.

I'd rather grow a baby up myself.

punky
10-18-2005, 01:32 AM
i just got my baby b&w from bobby last week. i think you'll find he's extremely good at what he does and his tegus are excellent! i love my little boy!

CycloneHWT
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
i have been lookin around and that is a really cheap price for a full grown, i have seen them as low as 200 and thats only at reptile shows from guys who are trying to make room for other herps, but the sore would make me curious, i would have to have that checked before i decided to buy it. i would even tell him, if you are truly interested and its nothing too serious that you would split the vet cost up to 50 bucks because 200 bucks isnt bad at all and if he is a reputable guy he would have no problem doing it all himself, but it is a gesture of good faith

varnyard
10-18-2005, 04:37 AM
Thanks Steve and Punky!! I am glad you like him Punky!! Steve you are now hooked on the tegu fever that is going around!! LOL