PDA

View Full Version : How to sex a Tegu ( to see if it's a male or female )

txrepgirl
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Hope this info helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xDQs66-RU&feature=related

DaveDragon
03-10-2010, 03:34 AM
It's sad to see all those regenerated tails.

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-10-2010, 05:28 AM
What does he mean by regenerated? The only time I've heard that term is when a lizard can grow the tail back, but that is not the case with tegus. What would cause such damage? Retained shed or biting or what? That looks painful.

txrepgirl
03-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, this is what he meant by that. It can happen when you have some Tegus in the same enclosure and it can happen that one Tegu bites another Tegus tail off ( this could happen when they are being fed together in the same enclosure ). It also can be from shedding problems or when a Tegu gets the tail stuck in something like a door. I saw a Tegu for sale where the tail fell off because a kid pulled on it :( .

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152100

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM
That is sad. I guess allot people have different standards for proper care of animals.

YShennanBot
03-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Dang, I hate seeing things like that. It's sad when people think that its normal for a lizard to be missing toes or a tail. One of my geckos lost two toes from a bad shed before I got him. It's just not right.

And Hybrid tegu??? I didn't even know they could do that oO

txrepgirl
03-18-2010, 04:18 AM
I know how you feel. Sorry, but I'm a bit lost with what you mean about the Hybrids :confused:

YShennanBot
03-30-2010, 04:43 AM
In the video, it says hybrid male 1 and the guy says 50% black and white and 50% red. It didn't even occur to me that tegus of different colors might breed. But since seeing this, I've seen several crosses (really pretty dudes too!) and it makes me wonder if Zepplin could be a b/w and gold which could explain how I can't figure out what the heck he is and some people say he's gold while others say b/w.

herpboi
03-30-2010, 05:55 AM
In the video, it says hybrid male 1 and the guy says 50% black and white and 50% red. It didn't even occur to me that tegus of different colors might breed. But since seeing this, I've seen several crosses (really pretty dudes too!) and it makes me wonder if Zepplin could be a b/w and gold which could explain how I can't figure out what the heck he is and some people say he's gold while others say b/w.

The blues, reds, b/w's, and giants can all breed together but a gold or any columbian tegu cannot be bred to any of them!

YShennanBot
04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Yeah I know, I meant a Columbian black and white and a Columbian gold