PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Tegu

cycomiss
10-25-2005, 12:02 AM
Saturday I acquired my second Columbian. She is about 10 months old and belonged to two of my friends. She seems very healthy, but she does look a little overweight (stomach area). I took her to my vet today and he said he was concerned about her weight - he said that her tail was too fat (I didn't even think that it was possible for a tail to be too fat!).
She has a voracious appetite - she eats more than my male Columbian and he is almost twice her age.
The reason that I got to take her is because my friends were going to give her away to a pet store because she was too aggressive to be handled. This is also the reason she is overweight - she has never really had a chance to run around and explore. The interesting thing is that I've had her for two days and she has completely calmed down. She is a little jumpy, probably because she is so excited to see new surroundings. She has not opened her mouth or huffed at me at all (she did open her mouth at my vet today though). This is the same lizard that only a week ago would try to bite the glass of her enclosure if someone walked close enough! Perhaps it is because my friends have 3 dogs... maybe she was scared of them?
Anyway, the question is actually about her weight. Has anyone dealt with an overweight tegu (or herp in general)? I have an extra 65 gallon reptarium for her to play in outside and I think that will help. I will also be changing her diet. She was previously given two mice once per week. I prefer a daily diet that is always varied. Is anyone familiar with specific foods I should be presenting in this case?

Here are two pic's of her stomach - they are not so clear b/c I took them w/ my phone.

http://www.www.thetegu.com/modules/Gallery/albums/album141/jezzie.thumb.jpg

http://www.www.thetegu.com/modules/Gallery/albums/album141/jezzie1.thumb.jpg

Thanks!

jb
10-26-2005, 02:05 PM
crickets, mealworms, turkey burger > mice and feed smaller portions every other day. the weight will come off.