PDA

View Full Version : Toki's first outside adventure

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
It finally got warm enough outside yesterday for Toki to go for a walk on his leash. She was sleeping inside, so a nice basking nap was called for before her little romp. I think he had a really good time! I wonder if I should ground her though because this morning I took her out of her bath and she was forced to sit on the counter for a few minutes because the hubby asked me to look up something for him online. I had my hand in front of her so she wouldn't go anywhere and she starting digging at my fingers. When I ignored her she gently put her mouth on them. I looked at her then but did not put her down to roam or back in her cage. I don't think she was pleased, so this time she bit my pinky finger, not hard enough to draw blood, but she didn't let go until I told her no and gave her a soft tap on the top of her head. Then I put her back into her viv and she has been in time out for about an hour. LOL I wonder if her little outside romp got her all feisty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neoKW96tdIM

the enigma
03-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Thats the first time I've seen her, and she's real pretty. I've heard of some of the other members Tegus flipping out when they first went outside
...I don't know why they do that though.

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Maybe it's like "I'M FREE , I'M FREE!! Oh no you again?!? WTF??"

BoxTurtle52
03-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Nice tegu! I wish I could take my beardie outside when he gets bigger, but I'm always scared that the two hawks that always hang around my yard will swoop down on him. Even if I had him on a leash, I'd still be a bit worried.

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
There are wire cages that you can buy for them to have fun outside without a leash. But if you do that you need to put in a hide for them so if it gets too hot they can cool off.

BoxTurtle52
03-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Kind of like a tortoise house?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006741

txrepgirl
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
LOL. The story and the video crackes me up. I love it but I am sorry that you got bit. She was probably hungry. They get a bit wild outside because they can smell the wild animals and hear the birds and other noises they are not familiar with. Good thing she didn't charge at you and try to bite you when she was walking backwards. She is so beautiful :) . Thank you for the video.

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
That could work, but something like a birdcage would be better. For your viewing enjoyment here is Scorch. She was outside the same time as Toki yesterday, but decided to be a lazy fart. She is a year and a half old, 20" and weighs almost 2 lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvqkaxVu0YU

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
LOL. The story and the video crackes me up. I love it but I am sorry that you got bit. She was probably hungry. They get a bit wild outside because they can smell the wild animals and hear the birds and other noises they are not familiar with. Good thing she didn't charge at you and try to bite you when she was walking backwards. She is so beautiful :) . Thank you for the video.

She was fine yesterday after going outside. She bit me this morning I think because I was ignoring her and she wanted off the counter. She did eat afterwards, so maybe she was grouchy and wanted to eat.

the enigma
03-17-2010, 12:17 AM
I've seen some of the wire cages you guys are talking about. The problem I've heard of with them is that other animals tear them open pretty easily

YShennanBot
03-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Toki is so pretty! I looove her markings. And congrats on the first trip outside.

Helix used to get a little attitude going after being outside, but I brought him a lot of places one year and he used to ride in the basket on the front of my bike. After that, he wasn't so bad about it. Actually, he became more clingy with me after that.

Same thing happened with my iguana. I think they just like the taste of freedom. I wouldn't want to go back either after that lol

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-17-2010, 01:59 AM
I was thinking of safety from hawks not wolverines. LOL

herpboi
03-17-2010, 06:19 AM
wow your tegu is very active outside nero has always been somewhat lazy when outside just explore and bask then he heads back in the house. nice video though whats your name on youtube ill subscribe to you and add you as a friend?

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Dottavio70

simon021
03-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Great Videos! My tegu has been in and out of hibernation since January or so. He's been down 2 weeks now, but was up every other day the week before that. I think moving into his perminent large enclosure kind of screwed up his seasons since the new home is MUCH larger with a much larger temp gradient. I can't wait for him to wake up so I can size him for a leash and get him outside! It's been so nice out here the last few days. Which leash is that on your tegu? I can't figure out which size to get for my 30 inch tegu.

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
It is the smallest size, it was huge on her when we brought her home, but now she barely fits into it. It was a hand me down from Scorch. I need to get a different one because she was able to get one of her legs out of it the other day and if she got out of it I would probably be chasing her around the yard until dark. She is soo fast! LOL You should take you guy to the pet store and you can try on the leash there so you are sure to get the right size.

toad772
03-22-2010, 05:15 AM
if they are just young you can use ferret harnesses and on my big ole female iguana I used a cat harness that barely fit her(it fit just had no more room to adjust it any bigger) I want to try my Colombian tegu on a leash but he is viscous(working on taming him)

VEGAS-LIZARD
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I am currently using a lizard harness. But the ones I've seen for ferrets look better. I don't think she would fit into a ferret harness yet, but I'm kinda handy with the sewing machine so if I can't find one to fit, I may just end up making one myself and using the lead from the lizard harness that I have now.

toad772
03-29-2010, 09:36 PM
yeah I thought they where smaller but I got one out and my little guy can just walk through the smaller part so it will be a while before he can use it probably big enough that you could use them on full grown tegu

VEGAS-LIZARD
04-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Yesterday, the pet jogger I ordered from Sams Club to take the lizards for walks came in the mail. I sent a pic of Scorch sitting in it to my Sister-in-law and she thought it was an April Fools joke. LOL
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/dottavio1970/0089361500101_L4.jpg