PDA

View Full Version : Bert at Agama International

varnyard
11-01-2005, 06:24 PM
I wanted to give an update about Bert at Agama International. Those of you that have dealt with him, know that he is just as nice a guy as you ever care to meet!! I have dealt with him many times, and you just cannot find a better person anywhere. I called him today about getting some more tegus from him.
I could tell his voice sounded weak. We talked for a little while, then I asked if everything was ok with him. At this point he began to tell me about how he has been sick and his trip to the doctor. He said they done some tests on him and found cancer, he went on to tell me that is was in his colin, and the tests also showed it might be in his bones as well. They have removed the part they found in his colin, but they do not know about bone cancer yet, or how bad it may be. Bert is one of the greatest people in the herp world!! He has brought many different species of lizards into the US, that were never here before. Bert is the first one to have the awesome Argentine Tegus that everyone has today.
He also is the one that brought, and started the super mealie worms, no one here had them before he brought them here. Now they are in just about every pet shop in the US. Bert is a known reptile speaker, and many of you have seen him at many reptile shows/expos. He has been a very great man in his life and has been to many places all over the world in the quest of saving reptiles, and studies.

I posted this so everyone could keep him in your thoughs and prayers. This man is one of the greatest in the herp world, and has the upmost respect from me.
I do think it is an honer to know such a man. He has taught me much. A true good guy, and friend.
Thank you for your time.
Bobby Hill (varnyard)

FunTex
11-01-2005, 06:51 PM
I was waiting for someone to post this, i have been talking to him for some time about him coming to denmark in a couple of weeks with a tegu for me, and now he isn't going to make it here, it's a real shame, i really hope he will get better soon...

Teiidae
11-01-2005, 07:12 PM
I wish Bert and his family the best...

Rick
11-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I was unsure if this information was supposed to be made public, but now that it is; I agree that Bert is a great herpoculturist and an even greater person. My prayers, as well as the prayers of my family, goes out to him and his family.

Rick

CRG
11-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I just emailed him a few days ago and got a reply he was in the hospital and couldnt answer his emails..I was wondering what was up..This doesnt sound good,but they do have some great new treatments for cancer these days..My sister has been on chemo(several different kinds) for over a year and most of hers has dissappeared.

drfish
11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Just shows us all really that life is fragile, and you have to make the most of your time whilst your here.

Best wishes to Bert and family for the future.

glbskeeter
11-03-2005, 03:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Bert. I purchased an Argentine B&W tegu from him about three months ago. Bert was extremely helpful and answered all of my questions promptly via e-mail. He seems like a very nice and caring man. I wish him all the best.

andy_rotten
11-10-2005, 01:00 PM
it made me really sad when i got his email and discovered he have cancer.
i'm about to get 20 arg b/w from agama and wanted to meet him, he's a very nice man and always answered the thousand of email i wrote him...
best whishes for him.

Andy

elchupaneebrae
11-11-2005, 02:15 AM
im honestly at a loss for words...just all these things you keep saying about how great he is, ive really taken to heart even though ive never once had the privelage of speaking to him , i wish him all the best and hope he gets better soon
-chris

argentinetegu
12-20-2005, 04:10 AM
FURTHER UPDATE:

Jerry and Dustin,
Luckely I am not having bone cancer. I do not know how they got that idea.
But I am operated on colon cancer and I am getting chemo treatment now every two weeks.
Time will tell how this works.
I can pretty much do my job here. The treatments take days away though, like all day today. But for the rest I am remodeling terraria, shipping lizards and feeding insects etc. And Hester is a great help. She can do virtually everything.
Bert

We were very glad to hear this, still praying, but very glad to hear theres no bone cancer!