PDA

View Full Version : resp infections

malice
11-02-2005, 03:31 AM
how do you know when your tegu has a respitory infection??

how do i upload pics on this board?

thanks

alex
11-02-2005, 03:47 AM
If you can't tell if it has a respiratory infection, you NEED to take it to a vet.
Not trying to sound snarky, but a visit with the vet will be the best way to learn how to identify signs - there's lots of permutations of where the disease can be located in the respiratory tract and what's actually causing the disease that will change how much mucus you'll see, sneezing, systemic signs of illness, etc.
And if it does have an RI, you'll need to go to a vet anyway to get antibiotics. It's best not to muck around with reptilian lungs, I find they build up scar tissue quickly from untimely treatment or improper drug use.

malice
11-02-2005, 04:06 AM
he sneezes, i dont see anything coming from the nose or mouth, although it makes wheezing noises, and its chest goes in and out like its having a hard time breathing... i dont know if he only does it when i come around the tank and he is hissing at me, or if its an actual resp problem? It looks like he is breathing very heavily and the wheezing noises are quite noticeable....

I have him in a tank with another tegu... will the other one get sic if this one is sic? thanx

tupinambis
11-02-2005, 04:30 AM
It sounds like your animal DEFINITELY has a respiratory infection. As a rule, non-iguanids do not sneeze. Also, if there is noticeable wheezing, as opposed to obvious open-mouth hissing, there's certainly something wrong. You should separate it from your other healthier tegu and get it to the vet as soon as possible. A respiratory infection is nothing to take lightly.

Teiidae
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
how do i upload pics on this board?

thanks[/quote]

To answer your 2nd question, this link explains it...

http://www.thetegu.com/contentid-25.html