PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Red Tegu

GuinnyOne
11-15-2005, 01:43 AM
The more I look at them, the more I'm fascinated and captivated by them. I'm looking probably for a sub-adult or a calm adult. Probably a female as my b/w's are female and get along wonderfully. Willing to pay a $100-200 plus shipping. I'll post if I get something to end this thread....but in the meantime, consider it open. Thanks. :roll:

malice
11-17-2005, 04:58 AM
if your in canada, i can hook you up

GuinnyOne
11-17-2005, 06:27 AM
ohhh...I sooo wish. Nope. I'm in Northern California. I guess I should have included that in the original post :cry:

lucy1
05-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I have a red tegu that I going to sell. It was August 2005 when we got her. She was 3 or 4 months old then, so basically we are looking at right around a year old now. I measured her last Tuesday, and was 17 inches long. Her colors are nice, a few spots start off a cream-white color then some are a pinkish color with some light to dark brown spots and a few black ones too. The background looks more red. She is eating fuzzes and enjoys the occasional insect. I have not had much luck with the fruit but it isn't because I havn't tried. I still put some in there at regular times hoping one day she will try and enjoy it. Her house has normal and stable humidity, temps, water, and lighting. During the day she has the fluorescent and a 75 watt basking light. At night those go off and I run her a red incandescent. She has a favorite hiding spot, "the tunnel" were she sleeps, and crawls on alot. When I vaccum the room she will stick out that head and watch me go back and forth, very interested. There are live and fake plants in there, which she has never bothered until this last shed. I kept moving them thinking they were in the way, no, just rubbing to get that skin off.

There are two children in our home, a very interested 3 yr old and a 10 yr old. They enjoy her alot too. The 10 yr old probably just for the attention that she brings him. The house is in his room and he will get her out and let her crawl on his bed and whatever happens to be on it. He made an excerise-maze thing out of a couple of shoe boxes and some of his dirt bike gear was there on day, and she was in and out of every opening that she could find. My favorite, when she gets tired of all that, she will climb through the hole in the back of his baseball hat and sit there until she goes to sleep or until he is ready to do something else. The kids down the street will come over just to see if I will let them hold her. She is handled often and so far has not seemed to be bothered by anyone.

Through all of this I have spoke of the tegu like it was a girl, I am not really sure of the sex. It was a 50-50 chance on that, which wasn't a biggie for us. As it has grown, the jowls havn't filled out all that much(or at least to me they haven't).

That is what and how she has been taken care of and handled. I put all this info because I want her to go to a happy place where she can grow and eat and be merry. Also, what kind of enclosure are yours kept in? Let me know if there is anything that I might have over looked, that you would like to know.