PDA

View Full Version : Looking for State by State reptile Regs

java_man007
12-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi everyone! I dont own a tegu yet, but I plan on buying one this coming breeding season. I am about to retire from the Navy, and am unsure of where I will be living come summertime. I am looking for a state by state listing of regulations regarding reptile (specifically Tegu) ownership and breeding. Any info would help. Thanks in advance!!!

AO1(AW/NAC) Paul Coffee
NAS Brunswick Maine

0.1.0 spouse
2.1.0 kids
1.0.0 golden retriever

ForkedTongue
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
I would start with the Fish and Game Commission in each state. Every state has it's own laws regarding reptiles. While some of the laws are very strict in certain states, others are more lenient. In Florida, where I live, there are no regulations in regard to owning or breeding tegus.

Aaron

argentinetegu
12-20-2005, 03:56 AM
In Florida there are regulations on selling and housing reptiles and they are pretty generalized. They state:

2) Lizards (other than glass lizards): In addition to requirements of this section, each
enclosure shall be provided with an environment or devices that allow for
temperature regulation necessary to ensure the well-being of the species. The
environment or devices shall be non-injurious, and may include but is not limited to
hot rocks, artificial lights, natural sunlight and heat strips. Each enclosure shall be
provided with a non-injurious substrate such as gravel, newspaper, processed wood
shavings, rocks, sand, or indoor-outdoor carpet. Such substrate shall be disposed of
or sanitized at intervals sufficient to ensure the health of the animal(s).
(I) Lizards up to 6 inches in length: For one or two lizards, a cage 12 inches
by 8 inches, 6 inches high. For each additional lizard, increase size by one
inch in length and width.
(II) Lizards 7 to 12 inches in length: For one or two lizards, a cage 20 inches by
10 inches, 12 inches high. For each additional lizard, increase size by two
inches in length and width.
(III) Lizards 13 to 24 inches in length: For one or two lizards, a cage 30 inches
by 12 inches, 12 inches high. For additional lizard, increase enclosure size
by three inches in length and width.
(IV) Lizards 25 to 36 inches in length: For one or two lizards, an enclosure 36
inches by 12 inches, 16 inches high. For each additional lizard, increase
enclosure size by 10 inches or 25 percent in length and width.
(V) Lizards 37 inches to 6 feet in length: For one or two lizards, an enclosure 6
feet by 3 feet, 4 feet high. For each additional lizard, increase the enclosure
by 25 percent of the original floor area.
(VI) Lizards over 6 feet in length: For one or two lizards, an enclosure 9 feet by
6 feet, 4.5 feet high. For each additional lizard, increase the enclosure by 25
percent of the original floor area.

They are not requiring different cage sizes for arboreal lizards and ground dwellers. Basically they think an iguana needs the same living space that a tegu does......

For more info, check this link:
http://myfwc.com/permits/JJRep_Frog_Regs.pdf

ForkedTongue
12-20-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought that Java_man007 was trying to find out the regulations of owning and breeding tegus in Florida, which they are none. Yes, they do have caging requirements but they are not regulated. Florida does regulate venomous reptiles however.

argentinetegu
12-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Actually the caging laws are regulated.

I got popped with a 6x3x3 cage and was informed that it needed to be 6x4x4. A local petstore that I was working at knew that I had built the cage and I guess new the laws better than I did. Anyway instead of telling me about the requirements, they decided to call FF&W about it. Really nice employer considering that they do not even have heat on half of their reptiles.....

I went to court on it and only payed court costs as I was able to show my experience in working with a herpetologist and had proof of hours. They understood that this was a case of ignorance on the part of the law and myself regarding those laws.

Also when it comes to sales of reptiles in Florida, they get a little sticky as well. You should really review their laws. Quite an interesting read if nothing else.

P.S. Thank you for deleting all those non-posts.

Teiidae
12-20-2005, 04:53 PM
P.S. Thank you for deleting all those non-posts.

No problem - There were quite a few lol :wink:

argentinetegu
12-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Yeah I dont know what happened but Firefox was not working at that moment and the forum kept saying error: debug something or another....

I felt like a fool when I came back with IE to try and repost.....

Thanks again lol

drfish
12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
(V) Lizards 37 inches to 6 feet in length: For one or two lizards, an enclosure 6
feet by 3 feet, 4 feet high. For each additional lizard, increase the enclosure
by 25 percent of the original floor area.

What a bizarre rule this is.

Why would you need a 4 foot high enclosure, with something like a terrestrial, this is total overkill, yet with something like an Iggy, this is pathetic.

Rather generalised.

argentinetegu
12-20-2005, 05:40 PM
exactly drfish!! I actually took the printed pdf file with me to court and argued that exact same logic. They had no option but to drop the charge. They still wouldnt change the reg's but I guess I have to go through more red tape to get that done.

ForkedTongue
12-20-2005, 08:00 PM
argentine tegu,

I think maybe we are talking about two different things, regulations vs. requirements. If tegus were regulated, then by law I would have to disclose my tegus to the FF&WCC. The fact that I don't have to do that makes them a non regulated animal. But even non regulated animals have statutory requirements. Take dogs for example, practically anyone is allowed to own a dog but if someone has a dog tied to a tree with no food and water for a certain amount of time, then they are in violation of the law. A gila monster or a tiger on the other hand, are regulated animals. People are supposed to disclose ownership to the government.

Regardless, most of those requirements are ridiculous. It's funny to me that people who probably have never even owned a reptile can write laws concerning their wellbeing.

Can you tell me more about what happened to you? Are you saying that the FF&WCC tried to fine you?

argentinetegu
12-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Yes they hit me up for about 250+ of fines. I got that dropped to court costs by argueing the facts. They are caging requirements and they do keep an eye on them in some cases. No they are not a regulated animal and you are correct. I am just trying to let people know what has happened to me personally so that they may benefit from the laws and knowledge that I have unfortunately become privvy to.

Basically they came in to my home after an ex-employer told them of my cage. 6x3x3 and told me that it had to be 6x4x4 which we all know is not the correct size and the extra foot in height actually becomes harmful as UVB lighting normally only carries 18 inches. I had to either hang the light suspended from the top of the cage(bad move, the tegus jumped at it non stop til it fell) or raise the level of bedding to adjust for the difference.

This ex-employer was a petstore owner and was a bit upset at me for branching myself off into a self run business. I was selling reptiles on the net. Not that it really affected him in any way, shape or form. I think he was one of the people that hates to see others succeed.

Anyway, yes you are right, they are not a regulated animal. The caging is a requirement by state and needs changing. It is also enforced in certain circumstances and this is why I posted this law regarding the original post. To keep someone else away from the hassle that I went through.

java_man007
12-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Im not sure where I'll be moving to but at least I have a place to start looking when I get there. Right now the plan is New Mexico, outside of Albequerque. I plan on purchasing a home there. When we do pick the house, my wife will choose it based on the kitchen and I will choose it based on how many cages it will hold for assorted reptiles. I cant wait! Thanks again for all the info!