PDA

View Full Version : Tegu and Sleep Cycles

prolecat
04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Why does my tegu seem to always be sleeping or want to be sleeping? There is plenty of times where hes really active but it seems when i wake up at like 2 pm, hes still in sleep mode and doesnt really want to play, it seems like all he wants to do is sleep, whats the normal amount a tegu sleeps?

charlene
04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
My tegu sleeps away the majority of the day as well. As long as he is active for part of it, feeding, and basking then there is really nothing to worry about. They are just lazy critters.

Charlene

Brisamen
04-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Mine (red one) is a really lazy ... tegu, he is laying on his fav spot all day long and only moves when he sees his food bowl is being placed inside his enclosure or when he is in need of some water. And even then theres no energie spilled as he wont walk down his walkway...he just jumps/ falls down (everytime giving me a heartattack as he mostly always makes a tumble almost landing on his head) otherwise he needs to walk an extra 2 meters...
He will however become more active when hes hungry and will walk up and down his enclosure and scratch the window as to say "hey! feeding time!!"
And every day between 2 and 3 he has his inspection round and will walk in a nice calm motion, along the edge of his enclosure like hes inspecting the walls and all.
But you are never to forget its a tegu cause he can be fast when he wants to!

John
04-04-2005, 03:44 PM
My's gu's also sleep 80% of the day. You have 2 choices: 1) wake them up and pull them out, 2) catch them when they are out and about basking or what not. It was hard at first but I no longer distub them while they are sleeping.

Rick
04-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Why does my tegu seem to always be sleeping or want to be sleeping?

i wake up at like 2 pm

I just had to laugh, seems you two have lots in common. :)

Rick

tupinambis
04-05-2005, 01:28 AM
In the wild, tegus get up when ambient temperature approaches their body temperature. They go out, bask for about half an hour, then search around for some food or whatever for maybe another hour, then usually retreat back to their burrow. They often stay in the burrow during the midday heat, but will intermittently go in and out at their whim. Then, around 3pm they go back out and bask for a second time before retreating into their burrows (around 4pm) for the night. During certain seasons they are more active, but generally tegus spend most of their time sleeping.

Johelian
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
My tegu has reached the ultimate in laziness; he cant even be bothered to come out most of the time unless its a "food" day (scary how fast these animals learn their schedule). You can usually hear him digging about in there, but he avoids human contact until he knows that there is food to be had. Cheeky creature :)