PDA

View Full Version : closed eyes when pet

nelo
07-29-2005, 09:11 PM
i saw on a few pictures that some tegus closed there eyes when pet.

my (1 year old female argentine b/w) tegu does that also. i thought that i ones read on this forum that they do that because they like it when pet (but i cant find the article anymore).
So, my question: is that treu?

thanx for any comments!

Teiidae
07-29-2005, 11:05 PM
I've not read anything on it however I would assume they do like it - Both my Tegu's and my Ameiva close their eyes when they are being rubbed on the neck, and considering that is about all the contact my Colombian will allow, he seems to calm down quite a bit during and after a neck rub :wink:

ElliotJasChief
07-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Weelllll....

I'm told that when iguanas close their eyes when pet it's a stress thing. Apparently their little brains rationalize that if they can't see the annoying human..it's not there.

Dont know if it works the same for tegus, as I agree they do seem to genuinly enjoy being pet, esspcially on the back of the neck :D

Rick
07-30-2005, 01:15 PM
My tegus only close their eyes when you pet/rub to close to their eyes. I can pet their body, legs and tail all day and they keep their eyes open. If I touch above or beloe their eyes they close them. I think it's a natural protection thing, much like our 'flinching'.

Rick

nelo
07-30-2005, 03:55 PM
that's treu, my tegu only does it when i rub her head/neck!!
thanks for the info!!!

Johelian
07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
I too think its more of a stress response;both of my lizards will close their eyes when they are petted, with my tegu eventually moving away when my torment has proved to be too much (my beardie cant be bothered to move, though she will sometimes bob her head as a message for me to go away). Im not convinced that they actually like petting, but my tegu will sometimes pause for a quick scratching when hes shedding.