PDA

View Full Version : Question about changed eating habbits

razz
09-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi Im a new member and I have a question about my Tegu, I have had him/her for about three weeks when I first brought him home he would eat anything, but in the last week he has become very picky only wanting mice he use to eat superworms,crickets,bananna and mice.The only change I have made is I put 4 inches of bark on the bottom of his cage,since the bark has been put in he has become a little more aggresssive(not much) and a little more shy I was just wanting to know if anyone might have some input on if this would change his eating habbits or/and his temperment.

drfish
09-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Any change in environment can unsettle a Tegu, and some more so than others. In terms of adding extra bark, I would imagine this has confused him a little of his own level of security. Give him a few more weeks, and see how it goes.

As long as he's putting the mice away, he should be fine.

razz
09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the input sounds like thats what is going on,he's not starving or anything just not as demanding for food like he use to be.

razz
09-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I also was just wondering if maybe I was offering the mice to often,he eat's one mouse a day what if I tried not offering any mice for a couple of days to see if hunger made him change his mind about other food.I just don't want him to be lacking in certain Vit's Im not sure if this a good or bad idea.

razz
09-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry for all the questions I wanted to ask one more thing that I forgot to ask does anyone know about chicken heart for the odd change in diet.

jb
09-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Feeding a mouse every single day will eventually give you a fat Tegu. Try to offer the fruit and veggies and dont give mice some days. Mice have good nutrition, but alot of calories and fat. Mine stopped trying to catch crickets when it got to about 20" total length, probably b/c they are too tough to catch in mulch for a tiny little piece of food. He still likes meal and wax worms in a bowl-easy to gorge on.