PDA

View Full Version : New Tegu!!

MO
11-07-2005, 04:28 AM
I finally did it!!! :D I bought a B&W Tegu yesterday at a local reptile fair!! They purchased them from Agama Intl. so hopefully it's healthy!! It looks healthy.

It's soooo cute!!!!

It ate a few bites of turkey and banana, took a big gullp of water and then dug itself into a little hole and stayed there till today when I got home from work. I left food in its cage and I think it pigged out while I was gone because it's stomach looked really fat and then he took a big crap!
After the big poop it basked for a little while then dug itself into a hole where it's sleeping.

I don't know whether it's a male or female but who the heck cares, it's sooo cute! I think it's about 10"-12" but it's so wiggly I can't tell for sure. Lots of green on it.

I actually had a nightmare last night that I woke up to find that I had purchased a Columbian gold instead. :( No offense to anyone.

Okay, okay....I'll post some pictures soon.

Teiidae
11-07-2005, 01:49 PM
Congrats on your new Tegu - I know you have been wanting one for some time now - oh and I have had that nightmare as well, however woke up to find it was not a dream :wink:

MO
11-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I have been drooling over everyone elses for-ever!!!

Anywho.....haven't seen the litlle rascal at all today. It didn't eat any of the food I left in its enclosure either. It buried itself last night and I guess that's where it is. I know that this is perfectly normal for them when entering a new living situation so I'm not really worried.

Lighting is okay, I think. Basking side is 105-120 on it's peice of driftwood otherside is 80-85. I also attached a heating mat to the non basking side in case it wants to bury underneath that spot and hide and be toasty. I'm using repti-sun 10 as the UVB source. I'm using Orchid Bark for substate, and am also misting. What else.....food!!

They were feeding it turkey baby food and fruits. I gave it ground turkey with mango today, maybe it doesn't like mango!! I also ordered a bunch of large pinkies today from themousefactory.com. They have good prices on frozen mice if anyones interested.

Well that's it. maybe it will come out and say hi to me later on :roll:

drfish
11-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Quick question, you mentioned adding a heating mat. Is this internal or external to the enclosure. If it's internal, I seriously recommend you remove it asap, as Tegu claws, and heatmats do not mix too well, and you could well be walking in to find a fried Tegu.

Just a friendly warning.

MO
11-08-2005, 03:35 PM
:roll: External silly. Do you think I've learned nothing from this forum????? Kidding.

I gave him fresh water and food this A.M.. Hopefully he will have eaten by the time I get home :P

MO
11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Okay.....by the time I got home little monster had been out because some of it's food was gone and I guess it had dug a hole next to food bowl because there was dirt all over the place! Bad little Tegu....

Anyway, I cleaned up its house a bit then little monster came up to say hi and see what the fuss was about. I held it for a few minutes, well really seconds, before the monster came out and it thrashed and jumped out of my hand. :( . I know it takes time.....but damn it! It's so cute I want to kiss it's little nose!

Monster, as I'm calling it for now, started circling my hand, puffed up a bit but allowed me to stroke it a few times before I decided I better not push my luck. Of course I had to laugh at its attempt to scare me away, it being so tiny me being so big....

Once I closed it's house it basked for an hour or so then made another hole somewhere and settled in for the night. What a funny guy/girl.

I love him/her.....

racinkev
11-10-2005, 01:01 AM
I'd also like to congratuate you on the tegu. I almost got one last weekend, but i was talked out of it until a little later. The tegu you got sounds really awesome and I'm little jealous he/she sounds so cool!!

MO
11-10-2005, 05:22 AM
Talked out of it, talked out of it!!!! Well, its definatley a commitment....

Anyways.....yeah the monster is cute, although I haven't seen it at all today. It didn't eat any food either but there is evidence that it moved around at some point because there is substrate kicked up all over the place, including on top if its food bowl! Bad, bad tegu!!

I ordered some frozen pinkies from the mouse factory, they should be here tomorrow. I'll try feeding it a couple those and see if that makes it happy. I'm sure it won't starve itself to death. It's probably just adjusting to the new environement and thinking of ways to freak the new human out :?

drfish
11-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Take it from me, he wont grow out of his "naughty behaviour". Mine, at 3 years old, still seems to find it amusing waiting for me to fill his water bowl, then either tipping it over, or filling it with substrate.

racinkev
11-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Well I should change what I said to what I really meant to say, which was that I'm still going to get a tegu, just now now, maybe in like a couple months. Mostly it's the price and space.

elchupaneebrae
11-11-2005, 02:01 AM
good luck
-chris