PDA

View Full Version : taming a grumpy Red

Sherry
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
hello just found and joined the site as there isn't much out there for info and this one in a matter of minutes answered alot of questions. However I do need some suggestions as to taming my grumpy red who is just a babe as he is always hissing and puffing and trying to run away. I don't fear him so I am just persistant with petting him and I've even gotten so I can pick him up as long as I keep him within his cage and softly rub him. This works sometimes as he will either settle or the "fight is on" but it would seem that out side of his cage is not going to happen for some time. Any help on how to settle my little guy would be appreciated. Also he doesn't seem to want any foods ie friuts unless it is live food, how can I expand his taste for what's good for him?

Teiidae
11-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Welcome to theTegu.com - Here is an article from helpful info that may be of some assistance if you have not already read it - and as far as fruit, I mix it in the ground turkey to get mine to eat it - If it's only eating live food, try rubbing some fruit on the prey so he can get a taste for it...

http://www.thetegu.com/contentid-17.html

MO
11-18-2005, 04:24 AM
This is a great!

Sherry
11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
thanks for the great article tip ..at least it gave me some idea that I was on the right track. I have heard about using ground turkey as part of their diet but I am still some what confused as to if turkey and/or eggs should be cooked or raw it seems everything I read all say something different could you be more specific if it isn't any trouble? I have also tried to mix his worms with the fruit, but it seems he is a pretty smart guy and picks out the worms, I have been lucky once and he enjoyed eating fruit baby food that I had left over from my Crested gecko but I hesitate to feed it often as I'm not sure if it will give him tummy troubles.It seems he just has particular tastes and I haven't yet found that "great Treat"

Teiidae
11-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I would only try eggs for a treat now and than - My Black is the only one who gets eggs, and they are scrambled - Try feeding lean ground turkey "raw" - with supplements - They have a hard time digesting the toughened protein in cooked meat...

beardiedragon
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
We use 93% fat free ground turkey and mix it with various fruits. My wife also makes frittatas for them with eggs, egg shell, fruit and juvie BD dragon pellets. Even the Blues get their fruit that way.

Just be patient with your Tegu as they get less skittish with age and size. Handling them before they wake up and at dusk around bed time is easiest. Don't push it if they try to run. Also dont let them have their way immediately or they will learn quickly how to get you to leave them alone. If they go to the bathroom on you, do not put them down immediately. If you do you will become their toilet forever.

Sherry
11-29-2005, 04:27 AM
just wanted to thank you for the suggestions....it seems to be working :D my tegu just loved the ground turkey and I found strawberries seem to be a bit of a favorite too so far that's all but at least it's something..so thanks again

Teiidae
11-29-2005, 10:22 PM
I've tried blueberries and banana mixed in with the turkey, and he did not to seem to care for it too much - Mine will clear the plate with strawberries or kiwi mixed in though - I like the kiwi myself...

beardiedragon
11-30-2005, 12:27 AM
my daughter loves kiwi so the reptiles get her leftovers. With over 600 mouths, that doesn't go far though

Sherry
12-08-2005, 04:50 AM
so are you feeding fruits on one day, insects the next and turkey or mice on another or is it best to cover all of these as a general rule for every feeding? I have noticed that his poops are very different with fruits and I don't want to upset his tummy(dark, almost watery) :( My little guy seems to be coming around for handling and I stop our sessions when he has just calmed and even closes his eyes but somedays it's like we have never met and everything is a NEW surprise is this just a juv thing that he will out grow or am I doing something wrong?Any help or ideas, could it be because I have to get to him from the top of his cage and maybe it seems too predator like? Does yours get a little bit grumpy when shedding, could it be I should leave him alone when he sheds? :?:

Teiidae
12-08-2005, 01:55 PM
My Argentines don't go after fruit or insects by themselves, so these get mixed in with the turkey - one day fruit, one day insects - I have only been feeding rodents about once per week now - My gold is still a baby and chases crix for now but he gets fruits in his turkey as well - I have tried including some bd pellets as beardiedragon does in the turkey as well and they take it no problem for plant matter...