Thread: how to breed argentine black n white tegu

Default how to breed argentine black n white tegu

can someone help me show me how to breed tegu.

I am totally not the right person to answer this but I can give you a good streamlined version so you know what your getting yourself into to try.

First off you need a Male and a Female, then some Barry White. Both of them need to be of sexual maturaty, so probably approaching 4 feet long.

Next you will need a fairly large enclosure with substrait able to be dug in. To see if the eggs are layed will take a much Keener eye that I possess and probably going to want a (proper) outdoor enclosure. For an outdoor enclosure you need to live in the right hemesphere of the Unitied States if you just want to leave them out there. Personally with winters getting colder I'm not a fan of that.

From what I understand in order to get Tegus to breed you will need proper day and night cycles, and a summer/winter cycle, potentailly meaning the tegu will have to hibernate one year before or for the year of egg laying. Once the eggs are layed it takes some horribly large amount of time to hatch, like 126 days, maybe more.

If you live somewhere like where that Varnyard guy lives your apparently all set becuase that horrible place is apparently just like thier natural habitat for climate.

Either way, this is a link that FAR FAR down the page there is something that says breeding and might help you more: http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/ Click the "CARE AND BREEDING TEGUS" Link on the second row then "Ctrl F" the word "Breeding" untill you get the big Bold words and your eyes bleed.
    Columbian Rainbow Boa
    Blue Tail Monitor
    Black Throat Monitor - Hatchling
    Black Throat Monitor- Juvinile

Monitor- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJUSO8JGKec

Default breeding tegu

thanks. it is not easy to breed argentine tegu.....:( I have 1 pair of tegu and i thnink it is the right size and age to breed them, ur right, here in the philippines we have only three seasons. i dont know if it could hibernate this december the temperature will only hit 68F as it was a record. I will just try to breed them. thanks anyway for the help. God Bless

If yours were imported from South America, they may hibernate at opposite times than our North American tegus.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets