Thread: tegu sex

Default tegu sex

how do i determine the sex of a tegu. how old can i see the signs showing if its male/female.appreiciate the info guys.

usaly around 1.5yrs & 2ft+ the male will develop "beeads or BB's" at the base of the tail bellow the "vent" (one on each side)

1st thread i could find (sorry i didnt look ready hard, i've been up sence 4:30)
    http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=bb%27s
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I could tell on our Argentine b/w Tegu that he was a male when he was close to a year old ( he didn't hibernate ). I have a male hybrid that is 13 months old and I can't feel the bb's yet. He did hybernate for 7 1/2 months. I know he is a male because the breeder probed him. Here is a video for you to check out if you want to. There you can see where to look and for what. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xDQs66-RU
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Actually, those "beads" are discernible at day 1 you just have to look for the scales. They aren't tactilely noticeable for about a year, but visually right away.

@tupinambis - I don't suppose that you have a picture readily available about the scales that you're talking about...? I'd really appreciate it so I can double-check our tegus.
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

I'm afraid I don't, both my digital cameras are now pieces of crap, one occassionally works but it's macro is lousy, the other I simply don't know what's up with it. But if you have an adult male and an adult female, go look at the cloacal spurs on the male, and then look at the scales around the vent on the female. DON'T look for the spurs, but look at the scale pattern around and of the button, then pay attention to the same scale pattern on the females. Those scale patterns are always present even if the buttons haven't developed.

Unfortunately for the examination, both of our tegus are a bit less than two months old, and they're both supposed to be males, so I don't have any basis for comparison on this one. But I truly appreciate the information; the scientific side of things that you provide has always been a joy for me to read. Thanks!
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP