Thread: mites on rodents. HELP

Default mites on rodents. HELP

do you know where i could find good info on feeder rats with mites. a methed for feeder rats and when i can use it after treatment for food. im using a flea and tick spray for cats and small dogs. it has pyrethrins in it. i mainly grow them to size and freeze them.
    has any body used and of the things that are listed on the web like ivermectin, pyrethrins, permethrin or any thing else. thank you all for your help

you can start keeping them on cedar beding. (it's a natural insecticide) just kill them, wash them, & then freeze them.
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I would be cautious about the chemicals in flea spray. They are also toxic to the nervous systems of reptiles. The pyrethins break down quickly and are not stored in the body for a long time, but I'm not sure about the ivermectin. If you could try an inert product like diatomaceous earth powdered on the rodents, that could help.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

you can bathe them in vegitable oil//leave the oil on for a couple hours then wash it off i suffocates mice and lice..if you have a really bad outbreak id recomend using ADVANTAGE from the vet, i have pet rats and go through this on ocassion...also do not keep them on cedar or any kind of wood shaving for it can caus major health issues in the rodents beings they have very sensative respitory systems..and i dont know about you but id rather feed my reptiles healthy food, for bedding for the rats id recomend newspaper/papertowels/fleece or aspen bedding which has no harmful oils, just remember to freeze the aspen 48 hours prior to use to kill off any mites or lice that may be in it