Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeding Colombians

lol, maybe laurafl. Whereas some of the termite mounds I came across were....enormous, I would have to admit that I can't say for sure that these were the same nests that T.teguixin typically utilize. For one, for me to get into them I had to use a pick. Secondly, from the written accounts that I've read, it seems the tegus prefer more arboreal nests, which coincides quite well with those that I've encountered in central America.

Are T. Teguixin more arboreal in general?

Whenever I think of termite mounds, I picture those tall, fake termite mounds that are re-created in the safari rides in our local theme parks.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

slightly, but they're still primarily ground dwellers.

In the region where I primarily lived in Brasil, most of the termite mounds I came across were probably pretty similar to what you are thinking of. This is a photo of a farmer's field in Sao Paulo state and the "average" termite mound in the photo is probably about 8'.

However, there were some I occassionally came across that were much different and were up off the ground similar to this one (although I think this was actually a wasp nest, but I'm not sure).

Those rock-looking things are termite nests??? But there's no woody vegetation in site!! What do they eat? And without the wood, how do they keep the mound hard enough to support an 8-foot structure? Do they convert grass into titanium with special gut fauna?

Was that field formerly rain forest, and the termites were left behind?

Um, well HM, I'm guessing your view of termites is biased by what you've encountered in North America. In other areas of the world, not all termites have an association with wood. Those mounds are made from clay, the termites are not wood-eaters.

That's more along the lines of what I imagined. I was thinking of the tall, slender termite mounds on the African savannas. HM, those termites still eat deadwood, but they also eat plant roots and I've read that they eat dung as well.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets