Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tegu Enclosure Walkthrough

Beautiful enclosures! I seen your walk through a awhile back for the Tegu enclosure and am wondering how your rock background is holding up (looks to be fine). Did you use the foam and grout method? We are within a couple weeks of getting started on our adult enclosure and are trying to decide what will finally use to make the rock walls. At the present moment for substrate I use coconut husk but I love the look of the top soil more, seems so much more natural and it looks like it will stay moist much longer. Do you ever have an issue with mold? I use a humidity box in my tank with a fine peat moss and my tegu loves it and he is always leaving me large pieces of skin behind so I may just go ahead and use that in my whole enclosure. One more thing, I have had major issues finding the right humidifier for my tank, I had issues with a warm mist dripping very hot water condisation in my tank and the cool mist I use does not produce any mist what so ever.....What make/model do you use?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make my enclosure right the first time as it will be a very large project!

Thanks in Advance
    Vanessa
    Vanessa
    Ontario, Canada
    1.0.0 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dezie)
    0.1.0 Argenitne Red Tegu (rehome)
    1.0.1 Fat-Tailed Gecko (Holly and Chugington)
    1.0.0 Brittish Bulldog (Bently)
    1.0.0 Cockerpug (Ryder) Perfect name as he "rides" everything!
    0.2.0 Children (Cadence 5, Jordan 2)
    Large Saltwater tank that contains Dory, Nemo, Marlin, Foxface, 4 Gobeys, firefish, a couple shrimps, and a grumpy Brittle Star that eats fish while they sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
    Beautiful enclosures! I seen your walk through a awhile back for the Tegu enclosure and am wondering how your rock background is holding up (looks to be fine). Did you use the foam and grout method? We are within a couple weeks of getting started on our adult enclosure and are trying to decide what will finally use to make the rock walls. At the present moment for substrate I use coconut husk but I love the look of the top soil more, seems so much more natural and it looks like it will stay moist much longer. Do you ever have an issue with mold? I use a humidity box in my tank with a fine peat moss and my tegu loves it and he is always leaving me large pieces of skin behind so I may just go ahead and use that in my whole enclosure. One more thing, I have had major issues finding the right humidifier for my tank, I had issues with a warm mist dripping very hot water condisation in my tank and the cool mist I use does not produce any mist what so ever.....What make/model do you use?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make my enclosure right the first time as it will be a very large project!

Thanks in Advance
    Vanessa
    Sorry for the late response. I will try to answer your questions the best I can. It's hard to talk about technical stuff like this because I'm not familiar with the English worlds The background is only holding up with angle iron, one end is glued to the fake rock, the other end is nailed to the plywood. We also have a thick wire of steel infront of the whole thing in case the angle iron would give up.

It's the traditional styrofoam and grout method yes. Unfortunately this was my first attempt and I was in a great deal of hurry. I didn't make enough research and ended up using a very fragile grout. Who knew there was a hundred different types of grouts anyway? XD She has already made a hole in it. I guess I will have to remove the whole thing later on then she is bigger.

I have never had any problem with mold in this enclosure. And I'm very happy with the cheap humidifier. I doubt you will find it in the US though. http://www.biltema.se/sv/Hem/Stad/Maskiner/Luftfuktare/

I'm looking forward to see your project. I would recommend that you do a lot of research before you start working and that you try out the materials first so you don't end up like us. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessie View Post

Thanks in Advance
    Vanessa
    I came across a really nice quality misting system that you might be interested in if you want to invest some money into it. The starting kit is around $100 but it is a really nice system with a no drip mechanism built into it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St21uqeSDI0
    I hope this helps!
    One Male Ferret Chaplin
    Two Male Boer Goats Edward and Henry
    One Male Pygmy Goat Nicolas
    One Male Argentine B&W Tegu Lucien

RIP ferret: Loki