Thread: Building a unique Tegu cage

Default Building a unique Tegu cage

Im building this cage out of an old play house my sister used to use ( she is 14 now lol). I Like in California so heating isnt much of an issue, since the house is a little small, about 3.5 by 4 im going to put some lights in that for when it gets cold. the rest of the time im going to let it roam in the backyard, a closed of portion at least as you can see. please let me know on any suggestions you have or any concerns.
    O yea im new to this site
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ill keep updating with my progress and hopefully have my final result not to long from now.

Well, my biggest concern is proper humidity levels. I'm from CA as well, and this State simply doesn't have the proper climate to house tegus outdoors like you mentioned that you were wanting to do. You'd end up spending half of your day just standing by with a hose, watering your tegu down. As you said, the play house IS a little small, so while it would work for a younger tegu, there's just no way it could properly house an adult. The general guideline for appropriate adult tegu housing is 8' x 4' x 4'. The general guideline for their humidity levels is about 70% to 80%... which is impossible to achieve in an outdoor enclosure anywhere in CA, with *maybe* the exception of extreme Northern CA, but at that latitude, there isn't enough year round sunlight to keep them healthy and alive.

Sorry to have rained on your parade. :(
    "Why do blessings always come in disguises? If I were a blessing, I'd run around naked."

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Spaz (aka "Monkey")
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon; Leonidas (aka "Jaba" aka "Fatty)
    0.0.1 Ball Pythons; Lil' Bit

0.1.0 Argentine B/W Tegu; Bozski - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Argentine A/A Tegu; Oscar - *rehome*
    1.0.0 Ball Python; Moose - *rehome*

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon; Knuckles (aka "Kitteh"), RIP
    0.0.1 Baby B/W Tegu; unnamed, RIP

Tegus do not live in an area where the humidity is 70% to 80%. Their burrows are higher humidity, but the general top of the ground and air, no. So if you set up a large area that is heavily mulched for the tegu to dig in, and set that up with a sprinkler on a timer, or make a deep hide box or two, and keep THOSE nicely humidified, that should solve your problem. The house you want to use is fine, as long as you also have a place for the tegu to roam. It looks like you are planning on allowing that, so the size of the house doesnt seem to be a problem. Looking at your pictures it appears you are planning on allowing your pet to roam around the area you have blocked off with wire, and here is where you will most likely have your biggest problem. Tegus are convinced that if they can see through it, they can GO through it. Your gu will attempt to dig through the wire, and end up with a rubbed nose and possibly raw feet. I would recommend putting something in front of your fence so your tegu wont be able to see out of it.

they can also climb over it or dig under the fence
    1.2.0 Argen Black & White
    1.1.0 Red Tegu
    0.0.1 Blue Tegu
    1.0.0 All American Tegu
    0.1.0 Hypo Red Tail Boa
    1.0.0 Lazik Tiger BP
    1.0.0 Normal Paradox BP
    1.0.0 Cuban Tree Frog
    2.3.0 America Toads
    1.0.0 Masked Ferret
    1.1.0 Children
    Rats & Roaches (Dubia)

RIP-
    0.0.1 RedxB/W Tegu (Stevie Wonder)
    1.0.0 Croc Gecko (Waylan Jones I)

& More to come

I was planning on adding all that you guys have said, the house will have mulch in side and be kept moist, im probably going to set up a sprinkler system, the pictures where just showing the raw design sort of, i haven't even started to change that area into a place for my tegu, it is still a baby lol. i am however going to take all of the things you said and use them to build the habitat better, and i was planning on putting something over the wire, i have to replace it anyway from it being chewed up and having holes.